Financial Literacy and Macro-economics
Financial literacy, moving to the forefront on account of the economic crisis, is a crucial element of the proper functioning of any society. Our goal is to identify the indicators of financial literacy in topic-related Hungarian and international literature which can then be used to draw macro-economic conclusions and be tested through Hungary’s example. We have identified four main indicators, which are: (1) income, (2) savings, (3) external funds (loans) and (4) the economy’s demand for cash. A number of criticisms can be raised in connection with the above indicators, most importantly the fact that the perception of financial literacy is overly linked to income. In spite of this, all these indicators are conducive to providing information on one of the financial literacy-related issues (self-provision, confidence, planning, long-term thinking, profitability, etc.).
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Diana J. Beal & Sarath B. Delpachitra, 2003. "Financial Literacy Among Australian University Students," Economic Papers, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 22(1), pages 65-78, 03.
- Annamaria Lusardi & Olivia S. Mitchell, 2006.
"Baby Boomer Retirement Security: The Roles of Planning, Financial Literacy, and Housing Wealth,"
wp114, University of Michigan, Michigan Retirement Research Center.
- Lusardi, Annamaria & Mitchell, Olivia S., 2007. "Baby Boomer retirement security: The roles of planning, financial literacy, and housing wealth," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 54(1), pages 205-224, January.
- Lusardi, Annamaria & Mitchell, Olivia S., 2006. "Baby boomer retirement security: The roles of planning, financial literacy, and Housing wealth," CFS Working Paper Series 2006/20, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Annamaria Lusardi & Olivia S. Mitchell, 2006. "Baby Boomer Retirement Security: the Roles of Planning, Financial Literacy, and Housing Wealth," NBER Working Papers 12585, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Annamaria Lusardi & Olivia S. Mitchell, 2006. "Baby Boomer Retirement Security: The Roles of Planning, Financial Literacy, and Housing Wealth," CeRP Working Papers 54, Center for Research on Pensions and Welfare Policies, Turin (Italy).
- Klapper, Leora & Lusardi, Annamaria & Panos, Georgios A., 2012.
"Financial literacy and the financial crisis,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
5980, The World Bank.
- Angela A. Hung & Andrew M. Parker & Joanne K. Yoong, 2009. "Defining and Measuring Financial Literacy," Working Papers 708, RAND Corporation.
- Guido Lorenzoni & Veronica Guerrieri, 2011.
"Credit Crises, Precautionary Savings and the Liquidity Trap,"
2011 Meeting Papers
1414, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Veronica Guerrieri & Guido Lorenzoni, 2011. "Credit Crises, Precautionary Savings, and the Liquidity Trap," NBER Working Papers 17583, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pfq:journl:v:57:y:2012:i:3:p:298-312. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Pál Péter Kolozsi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.