Capital Acquisition Attitudes: Gender and Experience
In this research we provide evidence on small firm owners' attitudes and approaches to capital acquisition. The most surprising finding is their general dissatisfaction with the capital acquisition process. Yet we found no evidence that this dissatisfaction translates into poor performance. Our analysis indicates that male-owned business were older, more likely to be technology-based, and bigger in terms of sales and assets. Male respondents were also better educated. We found no significant results for the firms owned by more experienced respondents. However, more experienced owners and male respondents were more likely to look outside resources, like governments, to provide guidance and assistance in the capital acquisition process. Implications from the results can be used by owners to better understand capital acquisition decisions and to develop better capital acquisition, by government agencies that develop public policy on small firms, and consultants that assist small firms with capital acquisition.
Volume (Year): 12 (2007)
Issue (Month): 2 (Fall)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 24255 Pacific Coast Hwy, Malibu CA|
Web page: http://bschool.pepperdine.edu/jef
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Philippe Desbrières & Sophie Manigart & Koen De Waele & Mike Wright & Ken Robbie & Harry Sapienza & Amy Beekman, 1999.
"Venture capitalists, investment appraisal and accounting information: a comparative study of the US, UK, France, Belgium and Holland,"
Working Papers CREGO
0991102, Université de Bourgogne - CREGO EA7317 Centre de recherches en gestion des organisations.
- Sophie Manigart & Koen De Waele* & Mike Wright & Ken Robbie & Philippe Desbrières & Harry Sapienza & Amy Beekman, 2000. "Venture capitalists, investment appraisal and accounting information: a comparative study of the USA, UK, France, Belgium and Holland," European Financial Management, European Financial Management Association, vol. 6(3), pages 389-403.
- N. Berger, Allen & F. Udell, Gregory, 1998.
"The economics of small business finance: The roles of private equity and debt markets in the financial growth cycle,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 22(6-8), pages 613-673, August.
- Allen N. Berger & Gregory F. Udell, 1998. "The economics of small business finance: the roles of private equity and debt markets in the financial growth cycle," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 1998-15, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Ingolf Dittmann & Ernst Maug & Johannes Kemper, 2004. "How Fundamental are Fundamental Values? Valuation Methods and their Impact on the Performance of German Venture Capitalists," European Financial Management, European Financial Management Association, vol. 10(4), pages 609-638.
- Berger, Allen N & Udell, Gregory F, 1995. "Relationship Lending and Lines of Credit in Small Firm Finance," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 68(3), pages 351-81, July.
- Cassar, Gavin, 2004. "The financing of business start-ups," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 261-283, March.
- Chrisman, James J. & McMullan, Ed & Hall, Jeremy, 2005. "The influence of guided preparation on the long-term performance of new ventures," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 20(6), pages 769-791, November.
- Wiklund, Johan & Shepherd, Dean, 2005. "Entrepreneurial orientation and small business performance: a configurational approach," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 71-91, January.
- Haber, Sigal & Reichel, Arie, 2007. "The cumulative nature of the entrepreneurial process: The contribution of human capital, planning and environment resources to small venture performance," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 119-145, January.
- Ozgen, Eren & Baron, Robert A., 2007. "Social sources of information in opportunity recognition: Effects of mentors, industry networks, and professional forums," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 174-192, March.
- Norton, Edgar, 1991. "Capital structure and small public firms," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 6(4), pages 287-303, July.
- Richard B. Carter & Howard Van Auken, 2005. "Bootstrap financing and owners’ perceptions of their business constraints and opportunities," Entrepreneurship & Regional Development, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(2), pages 129-144, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pep:journl:v:12:y:2007:i:2:p:55-74. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Craig Everett)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.