International Production Networks and Enterprise Transformation in Central Europe
Foreign investors influence the transition in Central and Eastern Europe in particular through their impact on the enterprise restructuring in the region. In addition to corporate governance and financial and managerial resources, they bring Central European firms into the networks of international business. This article focuses on the evolution of the supplier network of VW-Skoda and the worldwide trends in the car industry. Relationships within the networks, like that led by VW, are growing increasingly complex, and thus create mutual dependencies. This creates difficult challenges for firms aiming at supplying major multinational manufacturers.The paper concludes that networks are an essential mechanism in business-to-business markets and, therefore, enterprise transformation in transition economies cannot be explained satisfactorily without considering the evolution of business networks. Comparative Economic Studies (2000) 42, 135–150; doi:10.1057/ces.2000.4
Volume (Year): 42 (2000)
Issue (Month): 1 (April)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/|
|Order Information:|| Postal: Palgrave Macmillan Journals, Subscription Department, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 6XS, UK|
Web: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/pal/subscribe/index.html Email:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Djankov, Simeon, 1999.
"Ownership structure and enterprise restructuring in six newly independent states,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2047, The World Bank.
- Simeon Djankov, 1999. "Ownership Structure and Enterprise Restructuring in Six Newly Independent States," Comparative Economic Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 41(1), pages 75-95, April.
- Huber, Peter & Wörgötter, Andreas, 1998. "Political Survival or Entrepreneurial Development? Observations on Russian Business Networks," MPRA Paper 20412, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Earle, John S & Estrin, Saul, 1997. "After Voucher Privatization: The Structure of Corporate Ownership in Russian Manufacturing Industry," CEPR Discussion Papers 1736, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Barberis, Nicholas & Boycko, Maxim & Shleifer, Andrei & Tsukanova, Natalia, 1996.
"How Does Privatization Work? Evidence from the Russian Shops,"
3451306, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Barberis, Nicholas & Maxim Boycko & Andrei Shleifer & Natalia Tsukanova, 1996. "How Does Privatization Work? Evidence from the Russian Shops," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 104(4), pages 764-90, August.
- Nicholas Barberis & Maxim Boycko & Andrei Shleifer & Natalia Tsukanova, 1995. "How Does Privatization Work? Evidence from the Russian Shops," NBER Working Papers 5136, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Nicolas Barberis & Maxin Boycho & Andrei Shleifer & Natalia Tsukanova, 1995. "How Does Privatization Work? Evidence from the Russian Shops," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1721, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- van Tulder, Rob & Ruigrok, Winifred, 1998. "European Cross-National Production Networks in the Auto Industry: Eastern Europe as the Low End of European Car Complex," UCAIS Berkeley Roundtable on the International Economy, Working Paper Series qt35n5n451, UCAIS Berkeley Roundtable on the International Economy, UC Berkeley.
- Collins, Robert & Bechler, Kimberly & Pires, Silvio, 1997. "Outsourcing in the automotive industry: From JIT to Modular Consortia," European Management Journal, Elsevier, vol. 15(5), pages 498-508, October.
- Estrin, Saul & Wright, Mike, 1999. "Corporate Governance in the Former Soviet Union," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 395-397, September.
- Pohl, G. & Anderson, R.E. & Claessens, S. & Djankov, S., 1997. "Privatization and Restructuring in Central and Eastern Europe: Evidence and Policy Options," Papers 368, World Bank - Technical Papers.
- Robert E. Anderson & Simeon Dejankov & Gerhard Pohl & Stijn Claessons, 1997. "Privatization and Restructuring in Central and Eastern Europe," World Bank Other Operational Studies 11576, The World Bank.
- Alan Bevan & Saul Estrin & Mark E. Schaffer, 1999. "Determinants of Enterprise Performance during Transition," CERT Discussion Papers 9903, Centre for Economic Reform and Transformation, Heriot Watt University.
- James H Taggart, 1997. "Autonomy and Procedural Justice: A Framework for Evaluating Subsidiary Strategy," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 28(1), pages 51-76, March.
- Smith, Stephen C. & Cin, Beom-Cheol & Vodopivec, Milan, 1997. "Privatization Incidence, Ownership Forms, and Firm Performance: Evidence from Slovenia," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(2), pages 158-179, October.
- Lizal, Lubomir & Svejnar, Jan, 1998.
"Enterprise Investment During the Transition: Evidence from Czech Panel Data,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1835, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Lubomir Lizal & Jan Svejnar, 1997. "Enterprise Investment During the Transition: Evidence from Czech Panel Data," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 60, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Meyer, Klaus & Bjerg Møller, Inger, 1998. "Managing deep restructuring:: Danish experiences in Eastern Germany," European Management Journal, Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 411-421, August.
- Josef C. Brada, 1998. "Management 101: Behavior of Firms in Transition Economies," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 133, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Graham Hooley & Tony Cox & David Shipley & John Fahy & Jozsef Beracs & Kriztina Kolos, 1996. "Foreign Direct Investment in Hungary: Resource Acquisition and Domestic Competitive Advantage," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 27(4), pages 683-709, December.
- Simeon Djankov & Gerhard Pohl, 1998. "The restructuring of large firms in the Slovak Republic," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 6(1), pages 67-85, 05.
- Estrin, Saul & Rosevear, Adam, 1999. "Enterprise Performance and Corporate Governance in Ukraine," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 442-458, September.
- Josef C. Brada, 1996. "Privatization Is Transition--Or Is It?," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 10(2), pages 67-86, Spring.
- Estrin, Saul & Wright, Mike, 1999. "Corporate Governance in the Former Soviet Union: An Overview," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 398-421, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pal:compes:v:42:y:2000:i:1:p:135-150. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Iulia Badea)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.