Liquidity when it matters: QE and Tobin's q
The model of credit-constrained investors developed by Kiyotaki and Moore is used to analyse 'unconventional monetary policy' actions taken in the US and UK. We make two contributions. The first is expositional--to show that their model of a liquidity crisis can be represented as a two-equation dynamic system in K (the aggregate capital stock) and q (Tobin's q, the price of capital goods) with saddle-point dynamics. This allows for an intuitive, graphical exposition of the issues and results. The second is to show how a liquidity crisis leads to a deep recession when the assumption of perfect wage and price flexibility is replaced by downwardly rigid wages and prices. As in Del Negro et al., we show how central bank policies to increase liquidity can ameliorate the recession: but we use our simplified model for the purpose. Further, we analyse how fiscal intervention can help combat recession. Copyright 2013 Oxford University Press 2013 All rights reserved, Oxford University Press.
Volume (Year): 65 (2013)
Issue (Month): suppl_1 (April)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://oep.oupjournals.org/
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.oup.co.uk/journals|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- V.V. Chari & Patrick J. Kehoe & Ellen McGrattan, 2004.
"Business Cycle Accounting,"
NBER Working Papers
10351, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- V. V. Chari & Patrick J. Kehoe & Ellen R. McGrattan, 2006. "Business cycle accounting," Staff Report 328, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- V V Chari & Patrick J Kehoe & Ellen R. McGrattan, 2003. "Business Cycle Accounting," Levine's Bibliography 506439000000000421, UCLA Department of Economics.
- V. V. Chari & Patrick Kehoe & Ellen McGrattan, 2004. "Business Cycle Accounting," Levine's Bibliography 122247000000000560, UCLA Department of Economics.
- V. V. Chari & Patrick J. Kehoe & Ellen R. McGrattan, 2002. "Business cycle accounting," Working Papers 625, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Milne,Alistair, 2009. "The Fall of the House of Credit," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521762144.
- Nicola Gennaioli & Andrei Shleifer & Robert Vishny, 2010.
"Financial Innovation and Financial Fragility,"
in: Market Institutions and Financial Market Risk
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kevin C. Murdock & Thomas F. Hellmann & Joseph E. Stiglitz, 2000. "Liberalization, Moral Hazard in Banking, and Prudential Regulation: Are Capital Requirements Enough?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 90(1), pages 147-165, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:oup:oxecpp:v:65:y:2013:i:suppl_1:p:i115-i145. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.