Estimating the effects of recent disability reforms in the Netherlands
In the 1980s and 1990s, disability benefit rates in the Netherlands were among the highest in the world. However, since the beginning of this century the number of disability cases has dropped remarkably due to some very successful policy reforms. An administrative data set concerning Dutch disability benefit recipients from 1999 to 2010 was used to analyse the immediate effects of the recent policy measures on disability inflow and outflow. Three inflow-related measures introduced between 1998 and 2004 have had a large effect on the disability stock, reducing inflow into the disability scheme by over 40 percentage points. The new disability scheme introduced in 2006 created an additional reduction of over 20 percentage points. Effects differ substantially among demographic groups and sectors of economic activities. Furthermore, it is shown that the main outflow-related measure, re-examinations of younger beneficiaries, has had ambiguous effects on the disability stock. Copyright 2013 Oxford University Press 2012 All rights reserved, Oxford University Press.
Volume (Year): 65 (2013)
Issue (Month): 4 (October)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK|
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://oep.oupjournals.org/
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.oup.co.uk/journals|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hugo Benítez-Silva & Richard Disney & Sergi Jiménez-Martín, 2010.
"Disability, capacity for work and the business cycle: an international perspective,"
CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 25, pages 483-536, 07.
- Hugo Benítez Silva & Richard Disney & Sergi Jiménez-Martín, 2009. "Disability, capacity for work and the business cycle: An international perspective," Economics Working Papers 1171, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Hugo Benítez-Silva & Richard Disney & Sergi Jiménez Martín, 2009. "Disability, Capacity for Work and the Business Cycle: An International Perspective," Working Papers 2009-28, FEDEA.
- Ard den Reijer, 2006. "The Dutch business cycle: which indicators should we monitor?," DNB Working Papers 100, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Pierre Koning & Daniel van Vuuren, 2010. "Disability insurance and unemployment insurance as substitute pathways," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 42(5), pages 575-588.
- Pierre Koning & Daniel van Vuuren, 2006. "Disability insurance and unemployment insurance as substitute pathways," CPB Discussion Paper 70, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis.