Asymptotic and Bayesian Confidence Intervals for Sharpe-Style Weights
Sharpe-style regression has become a widely used analytic tool in the financial community. The style regression allows one to investigate such interesting issues as style composition, style sensitivity, and style change over time. All previous methods to obtain the distribution and confidence intervals of the style coefficients are statistically valid only in the special case in which none of the true style weights are zero or one. In practice, it is quite plausible to have zero or one for the values of some style weights. In this article we apply new results and develop a comparable Bayesian method to obtain statistically valid distributions and confidence intervals regardless of the true values of style weights. Copyright 2005, Oxford University Press.
Volume (Year): 3 (2005)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK|
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://jfec.oxfordjournals.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.oup.co.uk/journals|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Donald W. K. Andrews, 2000. "Inconsistency of the Bootstrap when a Parameter Is on the Boundary of the Parameter Space," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 68(2), pages 399-406, March.
- Brown, Stephen J. & Goetzmann, William N., 1997.
"Mutual fund styles,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 43(3), pages 373-399, March.
- William N. Goetzmann & Stephen J. Brown, 1998. "Mutual Fund Styles," Yale School of Management Working Papers ysm40, Yale School of Management.
- D. N. Graham, 1961. "Discussion," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 9(1), pages 54-55, 03.
- Donald W.K. Andrews, 1997. "Estimation When a Parameter Is on a Boundary: Theory and Applications," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1153, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Geweke, John, 1986. "Exact Inference in the Inequality Constrained Normal Linear Regression Model," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 1(2), pages 127-141, April.
- Kloek, Tuen & van Dijk, Herman K, 1978. "Bayesian Estimates of Equation System Parameters: An Application of Integration by Monte Carlo," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(1), pages 1-19, January.
- Donald W. K. Andrews, 1999. "Estimation When a Parameter Is on a Boundary," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 67(6), pages 1341-1384, November.
- Fung, William & Hsieh, David A, 1997. "Empirical Characteristics of Dynamic Trading Strategies: The Case of Hedge Funds," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 10(2), pages 275-302. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)