Asymptotic and Bayesian Confidence Intervals for Sharpe Style Weights
Sharpe style regression has become a widespread analytic tool in the financial community. The style regression allows one to investigate such interesting issues as style composition, style sensitivity, and style change over time. All previous methods to obtain the distribution and confidence intervals of the style coefficients are statistically valid only in the special case in which none of the true style weights are zero or one. In practice it is quite plausible to have zero or one for the values of some style weights. In this paper we apply new results of Andrews (1997a, 1999) and develop a comparable Bayesian method to obtain statistically valid distributions and confidence intervals regardless of the true values of style weights.
|Date of creation:||01 Oct 2000|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (858) 534-3383
Fax: (858) 534-7040
Web page: http://www.escholarship.org/repec/ucsdecon/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- William N. Goetzmann & Stephen J. Brown, 1998.
"Mutual Fund Styles,"
Yale School of Management Working Papers
ysm40, Yale School of Management.
- Geweke, John, 1986. "Exact Inference in the Inequality Constrained Normal Linear Regression Model," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 1(2), pages 127-41, April.
- Donald W. K. Andrews, 1999. "Estimation When a Parameter Is on a Boundary," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 67(6), pages 1341-1384, November.
- Donald W. K. Andrews, 2000. "Inconsistency of the Bootstrap when a Parameter Is on the Boundary of the Parameter Space," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 68(2), pages 399-406, March.
- Donald W.K. Andrews, 1997. "Estimation When a Parameter Is on a Boundary: Theory and Applications," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1153, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- D. N. Graham, 1961. "Discussion," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 9(1), pages 54-55, 03.
- Fung, William & Hsieh, David A, 1997. "Empirical Characteristics of Dynamic Trading Strategies: The Case of Hedge Funds," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 10(2), pages 275-302.
- Kloek, Tuen & van Dijk, Herman K, 1978. "Bayesian Estimates of Equation System Parameters: An Application of Integration by Monte Carlo," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(1), pages 1-19, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cdl:ucsdec:qt5h98h28m. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lisa Schiff)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.