Portable alphas from pension mispricing
We introduce a new dynamic trading strategy based on the systematic misspricing of U.S. companies sponsoring Defined Benefit pension plans. This portfolio produces an average return of 1.51% monthly between 1989 and 2004, with a Sharpe Ratio of 0.26. The returns of the strategy are not explained by those of primary assets. These returns are not related to those of benchmarks in the alternative investments industry either. Hence, we are in the presence of a "pure alpha" strategy that can be ported into a large variety of portfolios to significantly enhance their performance.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:oup:qjecon:v:121:y:2006:i:1:p:157-195 is not listed on IDEAS
- William N. Goetzmann & Stephen J. Brown, 1998.
"Mutual Fund Styles,"
Yale School of Management Working Papers
ysm40, Yale School of Management.
- Fama, Eugene F. & French, Kenneth R., 1993. "Common risk factors in the returns on stocks and bonds," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 3-56, February.
- William Goetzmann & Jonathan Ingersoll & Matthew I. Spiegel & Ivo Welch, 2002.
"Sharpening Sharpe Ratios,"
NBER Working Papers
9116, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- William N. Goetzmann & Jonathan E. Ingersoll Jr. & Matthew I. Spiegel & Ivo Welch, 2002. "Sharpening Sharpe Ratios," Yale School of Management Working Papers ysm273, Yale School of Management.
- William N. Goetzmann & Jonathan E. Ingersoll, Jr. & Matthew I. Spiegel & Ivo Welch, 2002. "Sharpening Sharpe Ratios," Yale School of Management Working Papers ysm29, Yale School of Management.
- Francesco Franzoni & José M. Marín, 2006.
"Pension Plan Funding and Stock Market Efficiency,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 61(2), pages 921-956, 04.
- Francesco Franzoni & J. M. Marin, 2006. "Pension Plan Funding and Stock Market Efficiency," Post-Print halshs-00009850, HAL.
- Francesco Franzoni & José M. Marín, 2005. "Pension plan funding and stock market efficiency," Economics Working Papers 871, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:upf:upfgen:894. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.