The corn model, gluts and surplus value
The controversy over Ricardo's corn model has focused on the interpretation of his early writings. Here, Ricardo's later use of a corn model example in his dispute with Malthus over gluts is discussed. Malthus's own use of a corn model table in attempting to justify his use of a labour commanded measure of value is analysed; it is shown that he calculates what Marx was to describe as surplus value from the physical conditions of production and the real wage. Copyright 2006, Oxford University Press.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 30 (2006)
Issue (Month): 2 (March)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK|
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://www.cje.oupjournals.org/
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.oup.co.uk/journals|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Peach,Terry, 1993. "Interpreting Ricardo," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521260862, January.
- Michael G. Akritas & Jouni Kuha & D. Wayne Osgood, 2002. "Rejoinder," Sociological Methods & Research, , vol. 30(3), pages 460-462, February.
- Terry Peach, 2002. "Interpreting Ricardo: a further reply to Sraffians," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 26(3), pages 381-391, May.
- Costabile, Lilia, 1983. "Natural Prices, Market Prices and Effective Demand in Malthus," Australian Economic Papers, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 22(4), pages 144-170, June.
- Heinz D. Kurz, 2002. "Interpreting Ricardo: a rejoinder to Peach," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 26(3), pages 371-380, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:oup:cambje:v:30:y:2006:i:2:p:307-312. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.