Duality Theory for Variable Costs in Joint Production
Duality methods for incomplete systems of consumer demand equations are adapted to the dual structure of variable cost functions in joint production. This allows identification of necessary and sufficient restrictions on technology and cost so that conditional factor demands can be written as functions of input prices, fixed inputs, and cost. These are observable when variable inputs are chosen and committed to production, hence the identified restrictions allow ex ante conditional demands to be studied using observable data. This class of production technologies is consistent with all von Neumann--Morgenstern utility functions when ex post production and/or output prices are uncertain. Copyright 2010, Oxford University Press.
Volume (Year): 92 (2010)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521785235 is not listed on IDEAS
- LaFrance, Jeffrey T., 1985. "Linear demand functions in theory and practice," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 147-166, October.
- Jeffrey T. LaFrance, 1986. "The Structure of Constant Elasticity Demand Models," Monash Economics Working Papers archive-28, Monash University, Department of Economics.
- Jeffrey T. LaFrance & W. Michael Hanemann, 1989. "The Dual Structure of Incomplete Demand Systems," Monash Economics Working Papers archive-21, Monash University, Department of Economics.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521622448 is not listed on IDEAS
- Blackorby, Charles & Primont, Daniel & Robert Russell, R., 1977. "Dual price and quantity aggregation," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 130-148, February.
- Jean-Paul Chavas, 2008. "A Cost Approach to Economic Analysis Under State-Contingent Production Uncertainty," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 90(2), pages 435-466.
- Pope, Rulon D. & Just, Richard E., 1996. "Empirical implementation of ex ante cost functions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 72(1-2), pages 231-249.
- Hall, Robert E, 1973. "The Specification of Technology with Several Kinds of Output," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(4), pages 878-92, July-Aug..
- Epstein, Larry G, 1982. "Integrability of Incomplete Systems of Demand Functions," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(3), pages 411-25, July.
- Hausman, Jerry A, 1981. "Exact Consumer's Surplus and Deadweight Loss," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(4), pages 662-76, September.
- LaFrance, Jeffrey T., 2004. "Integrability of the linear approximate almost ideal demand system," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 84(3), pages 297-303, September.
- LaFrance, Jeffrey T., 1990.
"Incomplete Demand Systems And Semilogarithmic Demand Models,"
Australian Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 34(02), August.
- Jeffrey T. LaFrance, 1990. "Incomplete Demand Systems And Semilogarithmic Demand Models," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 34(2), pages 118-131, 08.
- Lau, Lawrence J, 1972. "Profit Functions of Technologies with Multiple Inputs and Outputs," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 54(3), pages 281-89, August.
- Lopez, Ramon E, 1985. "Structural Implications of a Class of Flexible Functional Forms for Profit Functions," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 26(3), pages 593-601, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:oup:ajagec:v:92:y:2010:i:3:p:755-762. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.