An Export-Based Measure of Competitiveness
Unit labor cost (ULC) developments have been receiving increased attention from policymakers throughout the euro area, as adverse developments in price competitiveness are commonly seen as one of the causes of the ongoing sovereign debt crisis in the euro area. Yet empirical results are often ambiguous on the link between ULC developments and export performance. This widely examined empirical conundrum, often referred to as “Kaldor paradox,” naturally raises the question whether commonly used measures of ULC growth (such as total economy ULC) are a meaningful measure of mounting imbalances and persistent losses of trade competitiveness. Therefore, we propose a new ULC growth index that exploits disaggregated sectoral information and focuses on export-relevant sectors only. This trade-weighted ULC index is shown to have a substantially higher explanatory power for export growth than traditional ULC measures.
Volume (Year): (2013)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: P.O. Box 61, A-1011 Vienna, Austria|
Phone: +43/1/404 20 7405
Fax: +43/1/404 20 7499
Web page: http://www.oenb.at
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Oesterreichische Nationalbank, Documentation Management and Communications Services, Otto-Wagner Platz 3, A-1090 Vienna, Austria|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Carlin, Wendy & Glyn, Andrew & Van Reenen, John, 2001.
"Export Market Performance of OECD Countries: An Empirical Examination of the Role of Cost Competitiveness,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 111(468), pages 128-162, January.
- Carlin, Carlin & Andrew Glyn & John Van Reenen, 1999. "Export Market Performance of OECD countries: an empirical examination of the role of cost competitiveness," IFS Working Papers W99/22, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Andrés Maroto Sanchez & Luis Rubalcaba Bermejo, 2006. "Competitiveness and the Kaldor Paradox: The case of Spanish Service Sector," Working Papers 06/06, Instituto Universitario de Análisis Económico y Social.
- Aránzazu Crespo Rodríguez & Gabriel Pérez-Quirós & Rubén Segura Cayuela, 2012. "Competitiveness indicators: the importance of an efficient allocation of resources," Economic Bulletin, Banco de España;Economic Bulletin Homepage, issue JAN, January.
- Gaulier, G. & Vicard, V., 2012. "Évolution des déséquilibres courants dans la zone euro : choc de compétitivité ou choc de demande ?," Bulletin de la Banque de France, Banque de France, issue 189, pages 47-64.
- G. Gaulier. & V. Vicard., 2012. "Current account imbalances in the euro area: competitiveness or demand shock?," Quarterly selection of articles - Bulletin de la Banque de France, Banque de France, issue 27, pages 5-26, Autumn.
- Luca ONORANTE & Gianluigi FERRUCCI & Rebeca JIMÉNEZ-RODRÍGUEZ, "undated". "Food Price Pass-Through in the Euro Area: the Role of Asymmetries and Non-Linearities," EcoMod2010 259600125, EcoMod.
- Ferrucci, Gianluigi & Jiménez-Rodríguez, Rebeca & Onorante, Luca, 2010. "Food price pass-through in the euro area The role of asymmetries and non-linearities," Working Paper Series 1168, European Central Bank.
- Zsolt Darvas, 2012. "Compositional effects on productivity, labour cost and export adjustments," Policy Contributions 730, Bruegel. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)