(Uncontrolled) Aggregate Shocks Or Vertical Tax Interdependence? Evidence From Gasoline And Cigarettes
Besley and Rosen (1998) were the first researchers to test empirically for the presence of vertical tax externalities, examining the case of unit taxes on gasoline and tobacco. However, they did not take into account the price differences across states that arise because high cost areas pay less in real terms than low cost areas, since federal unit sales taxes on cigarettes and gasoline do not differ across states. Consequently, we propose that vertical tax competition can be estimated by using a federal tax variable that is expressed in real terms and thus shows crosssectional variation across states. To estimate real prices we deflate all financial variables using the House Price Index (HPI), which is disaggregated by states. This empirical strategy enables us to disentangle the vertical interdependence between state and federal tax rates from aggregate shocks over time. We use U.S. data from 1975–2006 on gasoline and tobacco taxes, and find significant horizontal tax competition, but no vertical tax reactions. The results are robust to the period analyzed.
Volume (Year): 64 (2011)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Fax: (202) 737-7308
Web page: http://www.ntanet.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David Y. Albouy, 2008.
"The Unequal Geographic Burden of Federal Taxation,"
NBER Working Papers
13995, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ben Lockwood & Giuseppe Migali, 2009.
"Did The Single Market Cause Competition in Excise Taxes? Evidence From EU Countries,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 119(536), pages 406-429, 03.
- Lockwood, Ben & Migali, Giuseppe, 2008. "Did the Single Market Cause Competition in Excise Taxes? Evidence from EU Countries," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 847, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Glaeser, Edward & Saiz, Albert & Gyourko, Joseph, 2008.
"Housing Supply and Housing Bubbles,"
2962640, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Roback, Jennifer, 1988. "Wages, Rents, and Amenities: Differences among Workers and Regions," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 26(1), pages 23-41, January.
- Besley, Timothy J. & Rosen, Harvey S., 1998.
"Vertical externalities in tax setting: evidence from gasoline and cigarettes,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 70(3), pages 383-398, December.
- Tim Besley & Harvey S. Rosen, 1997. "Vertical externalities in tax settings: evidence from gasoline and cigarettes," IFS Working Papers W97/23, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Timothy J. Besley & Harvey S. Rosen, 1999. "Vertical Externalities in Tax Setting: Evidence from Gasoline and Cigarettes," NBER Working Papers 6517, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Davis, Morris A. & Palumbo, Michael G., 2008.
"The price of residential land in large US cities,"
Journal of Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 63(1), pages 352-384, January.
- Morris A. Davis & Michael G. Palumbo, 2006. "The price of residential land in large U.S. cities," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2006-25, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Michael Keen, 1997.
"Vertical Tax Externalities in the Theory of Fiscal Federalism,"
IMF Working Papers
97/173, International Monetary Fund.
- Michael Keen, 1998. "Vertical Tax Externalities in the Theory of Fiscal Federalism," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 45(3), pages 454-485, September.
- Ang-Olson, Jeffrey & Wachs, Martin & Taylor, Brian D., 1999. "Variable-Rate State Gasoline Taxes," Institute of Transportation Studies, Research Reports, Working Papers, Proceedings qt1kf5d54p, Institute of Transportation Studies, UC Berkeley.
- Kiviet, Jan F., 1995.
"On bias, inconsistency, and efficiency of various estimators in dynamic panel data models,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 53-78, July.
- Tom Doan, . "LSDVC: RATS procedure to estimate a dynamic FE model with correction for bias," Statistical Software Components RTS00111, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Roback, Jennifer, 1982. "Wages, Rents, and the Quality of Life," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 90(6), pages 1257-78, December.
- Avinash Dixit, 1996. "Special-Interest Lobbying and Endogenous Commodity Taxation," Eastern Economic Journal, Eastern Economic Association, vol. 22(4), pages 375-388, Fall.
- Glaeser, E. L., 1998.
"Should transfer payments be indexed to local price levels?,"
Regional Science and Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 1-20, January.
- Edward L. Glaeser, 1996. "Should Transfer Payments Be Indexed to Local Price Levels?," NBER Working Papers 5598, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Chakravorty, Ujjayant & Nauges, Celine & Thomas, Alban, 2008. "Clean Air regulation and heterogeneity in US gasoline prices," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 55(1), pages 106-122, January.
- Rizzo, Leonzio, 2006.
"Local government responsiveness to federal transfers: theory and evidence,"
5373, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Leonzio Rizzo, 2008. "Local government responsiveness to federal transfers: theory and evidence," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer, vol. 15(3), pages 316-337, June.
- Kimberley Scharf, 1999. "Scale Economies in Cross-Border Shopping and Commodity Taxation," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer, vol. 6(1), pages 89-99, February.
- Devereux, Michael P. & Lockwood, Ben & Redoano, Michela, 2004.
"Horizontal and Vertical Indirect Tax Competition: Theory and Some Evidence From the USA,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4470, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Devereux, M.P. & Lockwood, B. & Redoano, M., 2007. "Horizontal and vertical indirect tax competition: Theory and some evidence from the USA," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 91(3-4), pages 451-479, April.
- Devereux, Michael & Lockwood, Ben & Redoano, Michela, 2004. "Horizontal And Vertical Indirect Tax Competition : Theory And Some Evidence From The Usa," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 704, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Jesse M. Shapiro, 2006.
"Smart Cities: Quality of Life, Productivity, and the Growth Effects of Human Capital,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 88(2), pages 324-335, May.
- Jesse M. Shapiro, 2005. "Smart Cities: Quality of Life, Productivity, and the Growth Effects of Human Capital," NBER Working Papers 11615, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Joseph Gyourko & Christopher Mayer & Todd Sinai, 2006.
NBER Working Papers
12355, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rosen, Harvey S., 1979. "Housing decisions and the U.S. income tax : An econometric analysis," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 1-23, February.
- Craig Brett & Joris Pinkse, 1997. "Those Taxes are all over the Map! A Test for Spatial Independence of Municipal Tax Rates in British Columbia," International Regional Science Review, , vol. 20(1-2), pages 131-151, April.
- Rork, Jonathan C., 2003. "Coveting Thy Neighbors' Taxation," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 56(4), pages 775-87, December.
- Nickell, Stephen J, 1981. "Biases in Dynamic Models with Fixed Effects," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(6), pages 1417-26, November.
- Del Negro, Marco & Otrok, Christopher, 2007. "99 Luftballons: Monetary policy and the house price boom across U.S. states," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 54(7), pages 1962-1985, October.
- Fredriksson, Per G. & Mamun, Khawaja A., 2008. "Vertical externalities in cigarette taxation: Do tax revenues go up in smoke?," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 64(1), pages 35-48, July.
- Louis Kaplow, 1995. "Regional Cost-of-Living Adjustments in Tax-Transfer Schemes," NBER Working Papers 5008, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ntj:journl:v:64:y:2011:i:2:p:353-79. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Charmaine Wright)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.