Econometric Analysis Of Internal Migration In Russia
Using panel data for the 2001-2008 period we estimate the gravity model of migration between Russian regions. We show that though the migration flows have been quite stable, their determinants have changed substantially. Our special attention is drawn to the role of distance between the regions. Our special attention is drawn to the role of distance between regions as one of the main factors of migration. Dividing pairs of regions into nine groups according to the distance between regional centers, we estimate the model for each group separately. We find out that social and economic factors are affecting migration mainly between nearby regions. Yet the intensity of flows between distant (>500 km) areas is almost uncorrelated with indicators of social and economic development of regions.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- James H. Stock & Mark W. Watson, 2006.
"Heteroskedasticity-Robust Standard Errors for Fixed Effects Panel Data Regression,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0323, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- James H. Stock & Mark W. Watson, 2008. "Heteroskedasticity-Robust Standard Errors for Fixed Effects Panel Data Regression," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 76(1), pages 155-174, 01.
- Tiiu Paas, 2000. "Gravity Approach For Modeling Trade Flows Between Estonia And The Main Trading Partners," University of Tartu - Faculty of Economics and Business Administration Working Paper Series 4, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, University of Tartu (Estonia).
- Annette N. Brown, 1997. "The Economic Determinants of the Internal Migration Flows in Russia During Transition," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 89, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Yuri Andrienko & Sergei Guriev, 2004. "Determinants of interregional mobility in Russia," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 12(1), pages 1-27, 03.
- E. Vakulenko & N. Mkrtchyan & K. Furmanov, 2011. "Econometric Analysis Of Internal Migration In Russia," Montenegrin Journal of Economics, Economic Laboratory for Transition Research (ELIT), vol. 7(2), pages 21-33.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mje:mjejnl:v:7:y:2011:i:2:p:21-33. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Eryk Wdowiak)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.