Partial Ownership and Strategic Alliances with Reallocation of Corporate Resources
This paper considers the role of equity transfer to strategic alliance partners in mitigating the moral-hazard problem that occurs if a participating firm faces some possibility of reallocating a part of the resources devoted to the joint project of the strategic alliance or retreating from the strategic alliance before completing the joint project. I derive a situation in which equity transfer in the strategic alliance is a component of an optimal contract, in particular, in which equity transfer in the strategic alliance is superior to the contract with the cash transfer only. I also analyze optimal equity stake sizes.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 167 (2011)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://www.mohr.de/jite|
|Order Information:|| Postal: Mohr Siebeck GmbH & Co. KG, P.O.Box 2040, 72010 Tübingen, Germany|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Marinucci, Marco, 2008.
"Optimal ownership in joint ventures with contributions of asymmetric partners,"
8985, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Marco, MARINUCCI, 2008. "Optimal ownership in joint ventures with contributions of asymmetric partners," Discussion Papers (ECON - Département des Sciences Economiques) 2008016, Université catholique de Louvain, Département des Sciences Economiques.
- MARINUCCI, Marco, 2008. "Optimal ownership in joint ventures with contributions of asymmetric partners," CORE Discussion Papers 2008023, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Marinucci, Marco, 2008. "Optimal ownership in joint ventures with contributions of asymmetric partners," MPRA Paper 9058, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- MARINUCCI, Marco, "undated". "Optimal ownership in joint ventures with contributions of asymmetric partners," CORE Discussion Papers RP 2137, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Aghion, Philippe & Tirole, Jean, 1994.
"On the Management of Innovation,"
IDEI Working Papers
36, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Nöldeke, Georg & Schmidt, Klaus M., 1998.
"Sequential investments and options to own,"
Munich Reprints in Economics
19327, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Patrick W. Schmitz, 2005.
"Allocating control in agency problems with limited liability and sequential hidden actions,"
Bonn Econ Discussion Papers
bgse27_2005, University of Bonn, Germany.
- Patrick W. Schmitz, 2005. "Allocating Control in Agency Problems with Limited Liability and Sequential Hidden Actions," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 36(2), pages 318-336, Summer.
- Schmitz, Patrick W, 2005. "Allocating Control in Agency Problems with Limited Liability and Sequential Hidden Actions," CEPR Discussion Papers 5145, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Marco Marinucci, 2009. "Optimal ownership in joint ventures with contributions of asymmetric partners," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 97(2), pages 141-163, June.
- Osano, Hiroshi, 1996. "Intercorporate shareholdings and corporate control in the Japanese firm," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(6), pages 1047-1068, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mhr:jinste:urn:sici:0932-4569(201106)167:2_202:poasaw_2.0.tx_2-z. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Wolpert)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.