Minsky's Money Manager Capitalism and the Global Financial Crisis
The world's worst economic crisis since the 1930s is now well into its fourth year. Minsky's work has enjoyed unprecedented interest, with many calling this a "Minsky moment" or "Minsky crisis" and locating the beginnings of the crisis in the 2000s. I argue that we should not view this as a "moment" that can be traced to recent developments. Rather, we have seen a slow realignment of the global financial system toward what Minsky called "money manager capitalism"âsomething like a return to prewar "finance capitalism" analyzed by Rudolf Hilferding, Thorstein Veblen, and John Maynard Keynesâand later by John Kenneth Galbraith. Getting out of this crisis will require radical policy changes no less significant than those adopted in the New Deal.
Volume (Year): 40 (2011)
Issue (Month): 2 (July)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://mesharpe.metapress.com/link.asp?target=journal&id=110909|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dimitri B. Papadimitriou & L. Randall Wray, 1997.
"The Economic Contributions of Hyman Minsky: Varieties of Capitalism and Institutional Reform,"
Economics Working Paper Archive
wp_217, Levy Economics Institute.
- Dimitri Papadimitriou & L. Randall Wray, 1998. "The Economic Contributions of Hyman Minsky: varieties of capitalism and institutional reform," Review of Political Economy, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(2), pages 199-225.
- Dimitri B. Papadimitriou & L. Randall Wray, 1998. "The Economic Contributions of Hyman Minsky: Varieties of Capitalism and Institutional Reform," Macroeconomics 9802018, EconWPA.
- Eric Tymoigne & L. Randall Wray, 2009. "It Isn't Working: Time for More Radical Policies," Economics Public Policy Brief Archive ppb_105, Levy Economics Institute.
- Yeva Nersisyan & L. Randall Wray, 2010. "The Trouble with Pensions: Toward an Alternative Public Policy to Support Retirement," Economics Public Policy Brief Archive ppb_109, Levy Economics Institute.
- Jan Kregel, 2010. "No Going Back: Why We Cannot Restore Glass-Steagall's Segregation of Banking and Finance," Economics Public Policy Brief Archive ppb_107, Levy Economics Institute.
- Marshall Auerback & L. Randall Wray, 2010. "Toward True Health Care Reform: More Care, Less Insurance," Economics Public Policy Brief Archive ppb_110, Levy Economics Institute.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mes:ijpoec:v:40:y:2011:i:2:p:5-20. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Chris Nguyen)The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Chris Nguyen to update the entry or send us the correct email address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.