Minsky's Money Manager Capitalism and the Global Financial Crisis
The world's worst economic crisis since the 1930s is now well into its fourth year. Minsky's work has enjoyed unprecedented interest, with many calling this a "Minsky moment" or "Minsky crisis" and locating the beginnings of the crisis in the 2000s. I argue that we should not view this as a "moment" that can be traced to recent developments. Rather, we have seen a slow realignment of the global financial system toward what Minsky called "money manager capitalism"âsomething like a return to prewar "finance capitalism" analyzed by Rudolf Hilferding, Thorstein Veblen, and John Maynard Keynesâand later by John Kenneth Galbraith. Getting out of this crisis will require radical policy changes no less significant than those adopted in the New Deal.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 40 (2011)
Issue (Month): 2 (July)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://mesharpe.metapress.com/link.asp?target=journal&id=110909|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dimitri Papadimitriou & L. Randall Wray, 1998.
"The Economic Contributions of Hyman Minsky: varieties of capitalism and institutional reform,"
Review of Political Economy,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(2), pages 199-225.
- Dimitri B. Papadimitriou & L. Randall Wray, 1997. "The Economic Contributions of Hyman Minsky: Varieties of Capitalism and Institutional Reform," Economics Working Paper Archive wp_217, Levy Economics Institute.
- Dimitri B. Papadimitriou & L. Randall Wray, 1998. "The Economic Contributions of Hyman Minsky: Varieties of Capitalism and Institutional Reform," Macroeconomics 9802018, EconWPA.
- Yeva Nersisyan & L. Randall Wray, 2010. "The Trouble with Pensions: Toward an Alternative Public Policy to Support Retirement," Economics Public Policy Brief Archive ppb_109, Levy Economics Institute.
- Marshall Auerback & L. Randall Wray, 2010. "Toward True Health Care Reform: More Care, Less Insurance," Economics Public Policy Brief Archive ppb_110, Levy Economics Institute.
- Jan Kregel, 2010. "No Going Back: Why We Cannot Restore Glass-Steagall's Segregation of Banking and Finance," Economics Public Policy Brief Archive ppb_107, Levy Economics Institute.
- Eric Tymoigne & L. Randall Wray, 2009. "It Isn't Working: Time for More Radical Policies," Economics Public Policy Brief Archive ppb_105, Levy Economics Institute.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mes:ijpoec:v:40:y:2011:i:2:p:5-20. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Chris Nguyen)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.