The Consequences of Easy Credit Policy, High Gearing, and Firms’ Profitability in Pakistan’s Textile Sector: A Panel Data Analysis
This study uses panel data on 75 textile firms for the period 2000–09 to examine the consequences of an easy credit policy followed by high gearing, increased financing costs, and other determinants of corporate profitability. Five out of nine explanatory variables—including gearing, financing costs, inflation, tax provisions, and the industry’s capacity utilization ratio—have a negative impact, while the remaining four variables—working capital management, asset turnover, exports, competitiveness, and devaluation—have a positive impact on firms’ profitability.
Volume (Year): 17 (2012)
Issue (Month): 1 (Jan-June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (92-42) 6560939
Web page: http://www.lahoreschoolofeconomics.edu.pk/EconomicsJournal/LJEIntro.aspx
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jovanovic, Boyan, 1982. "Selection and the Evolution of Industry," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(3), pages 649-70, May.
- Raza, Syed Ali & Farooq, M. Shoaib & Khan, Nadeem, 2011. "Firm and industry effects on firm profitability: an empirical analysis of KSE," MPRA Paper 36797, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Chhapra, Imran Umer & Naqvi, Nousheen Abbas, 2010.
"Relationship between Efficiency Level of Working Capital Management and Profitability of Firms in the Textile Sector of Pakistan,"
51057, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Imran Omer Chhapra & Nousheen Abbas Naqvi, 2010. "Relationship between Efficiency Level of Working Capital Management and Profitability of Firms in the Textile Sector of Pakistan," Indus Journal of Management & Social Science (IJMSS), Department of Business Administration, vol. 4(1), pages 30-42, December.
- Marco Grazzi, 2009. "Trade and Profitability: Is there an export premium? Evidence from Italian manufacturing firms," LEM Papers Series 2009/16, Laboratory of Economics and Management (LEM), Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies, Pisa, Italy.
- Andreas Stierwald, 2010. "Determinants of Profitability: An Analysis of Large Australian Firms," Melbourne Institute Working Paper Series wp2010n03, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, The University of Melbourne.
- Hausman, Jerry, 2015.
"Specification tests in econometrics,"
Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 38(2), pages 112-134.
- Mark Doms & Eric J. Bartelsman, 2000.
"Understanding Productivity: Lessons from Longitudinal Microdata,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 38(3), pages 569-594, September.
- Eric J. Bartelsman & Mark Doms, 2000. "Understanding productivity: lessons from longitudinal microdata," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2000-19, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- repec:att:wimass:8904 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:lje:journl:v:17:y:2012:i:1:p:33-44. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shahid Salahuddin)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.