A Qualitative Analysis of Pakistan’s External and Internal Debt
This paper discusses how poor debt management combined with the policies of donor agencies (particularly the IMF) have brought on the present domestic and foreign debt crises. The paper presents a qualitative account of the debt in Pakistan and then analyzes the debt data using various debt burden indicators. After the analysis of the economic and social costs of debt overhang in Pakistan, it is found that net foreign resource flows to the private and public sectors tended to crowd out private and public savings respectively and that public savings is crowded out by resource flows from the private sector to the public sector. Finally, the results of the paper find that the resource allocation between development and non-development expenditure did not depend on whether government expenditure was financed by revenues or government borrowing and that more resources are directed towards deveopment activity when government expenditure is financed by foreign resource flows rather than domestice resource flows.
Volume (Year): 16 (2011)
Issue (Month): Special Edition (September)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Intersection Main Boulevard Phase VI DHA and Burki Road, Lahore|
Phone: (92-42) 6560939
Web page: http://www.lahoreschoolofeconomics.edu.pk/EconomicsJournal/LJEIntro.aspx
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Eatzaz Ahmad, 1996. "Capital Inflows and National Debt," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 35(4), pages 943-960.
- Helene Poirson Ward & Luca Antonio Ricci & Catherine A. Pattillo, 2002.
"External Debt and Growth,"
IMF Working Papers
02/69, International Monetary Fund.
- Eatzaz Ahmad & Ayaz Ahmed, 1998. "A Simulation Analysis of the Debt Problem in Pakistan," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 37(4), pages 355-376.
- M. Aslam Chaudhary, 1988. "International Debt and Foreign Dependency:Policy Options for Pakistan," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 27(4), pages 829-836.
- Helene Poirson Ward & Luca Antonio Ricci & Catherine A. Pattillo, 2004. "What Are the Channels Through Which External Debt Affects Growth?," IMF Working Papers 04/15, International Monetary Fund.
- Cohen, Daniel, 1988. "The Management of the Developing Countries' Debt: Guidelines and Applications to Brazil," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 2(1), pages 77-103, January.
- Nadeem A. Burney, 1988. "Determinants of Debt Problem in Pakistan and its Debt-servicing Capacity," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 27(4), pages 805-818.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:lje:journl:v:16:y:2011:i:sp:p:123-157. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shahid Salahuddin)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.