Estimating the Imperfection in Sawtimber markets: a case study for the South Pacific Region, Colombia
This paper estimates the degree and nature of imperfections in the timber markets for the South Pacific Region of Colombia. These markets are described under the structure/conduct/performance paradigm. An econometric analysis was undertaken to estimate the degree of imperfection. Market structures indicate high levels of seller concentration. These are result of barriers to entry associated with: knowledge and capital requirements; deficiencies in the banking system; vertical integration of participants;available transportation; and other institutional constraints. These imperfections create inequalities in the distribution of income, unemployment and regional poverty. As a consequence the timber industry's contribution to socioeconomic progress is limited and produces a negative impact on the conservation of forestecosystems.
Volume (Year): (2005)
Issue (Month): 63 (Julio-Diciembre)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://economia.udea.edu.co|
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Lecturas de Economía, Departamento de Economía, Calle 67, 53-108, Medellin 050010, Colombia.|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wunder, Sven, 2001. "Poverty Alleviation and Tropical Forests--What Scope for Synergies?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 29(11), pages 1817-1833, November.
- Azzam, Azzeddine M, 1997. "Measuring Market Power and Cost-Efficiency Effects of Industrial Concentration," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 45(4), pages 377-386, December.
- Carlos Arnade & Daniel Pick, 2000. "Seasonal oligopoly power: the case of the US fresh fruit market," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(8), pages 969-977.
- Margarida De Mello & Antonio Brandao, 1999. "Measuring the Market Power of the Portuguese Milk Industry," International Journal of the Economics of Business, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 6(2), pages 209-222.
- Murray, Brian C, 1995. "Measuring Oligopsony Power with Shadow Prices: U.S. Markets for Pulpwood and Sawlogs," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 77(3), pages 486-498, August.
- Elena Huergo, 2005.
"El diagnóstico de poder de mercado en Economía Industrial: Una revisión de la literatura empírica española del siglo XX,"
- Elena Huergo Orejas, 2001. "El diagnóstico de poder de mercado en Economía Indurstrial: Una revisión de la literatura empírica española del siglo XX," Documentos de trabajo de la Facultad de Ciencias Económicas y Empresariales 01-12, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Facultad de Ciencias Económicas y Empresariales.
- Carlos Arnade & Daniel Pick, 1999. "Alternative approach to measuring oligopoly power: a wheat market example," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 6(3), pages 195-197.
- Schroeter, John R, 1988.
"Estimating the Degree of Market Power in the Beef Packing Industry,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 70(1), pages 158-162, February.
- Schroeter, John R., 1988. "Estimating the Degree of Market Power in the Beef Packing Industry," Staff General Research Papers Archive 11114, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Appelbaum, Elie, 1982. "The estimation of the degree of oligopoly power," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 19(2-3), pages 287-299, August.
- Shepherd, William G, 1972. "The Elements of Market Structure," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 54(1), pages 25-37, February.
- Sanjib Bhuyan & Rigoberto A. Lopez, 1997. "Oligopoly Power in the Food and Tobacco Industries," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(3), pages 1035-1043.
- S. Illeris & G. Akehurst, 2001. "Introduction," The Service Industries Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 21(1), pages 1-4, January.
- Muth, Mary K. & Wohlgenant, Michael K., 1999. "Measuring The Degree Of Oligopsony Power In The Beef Packing Industry In The Absence Of Marketing Input Quantity Data," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 24(02), December.
- Rigoberto Lopez & Azzeddine Azzam & Carmen Lirón-España, 2002. "Market Power and/or Efficiency: A Structural Approach," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer;The Industrial Organization Society, vol. 20(2), pages 115-126, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:lde:journl:y:2005:i:63:p:231-260. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Carlos Andrés Vasco Correa)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.