How Risk Disciplines Pre-Commitment
This paper studies the entry strategies of firms on risky markets. We focus on markets where demand is affine and cost is linear, moreover, the demand includes a normally distributed random variable. In such a model, we show that the leader's strategy changes with the level of market risk even when firms are risk neutral. Therefore, the availability of future information for a Stackelberg follower has a feedback effect on the leader's strategy. We also show that compared with traditional markets with no risk, the basic trade-off between flexibility and pre-commitment is only slightly changed in the qualitative game where firms are free to choose when to enter the market.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
Volume (Year): 65 (2008)
Issue (Month): 3 (November)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/economics/economic+theory/journal/11238/PS2|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Somma, Ernesto, 1999.
"The effect of incomplete information about future technological opportunities on pre-emption,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 17(6), pages 765-799, August.
- Ernesto Somma, "undated". "The Effect of Incomplete Information about Future Technological Opportunities on Pre-Emption," Discussion Papers 95/41, Department of Economics, University of York.
- Hamilton, Jonathan H. & Slutsky, Steven M., 1990. "Endogenous timing in duopoly games: Stackelberg or cournot equilibria," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 2(1), pages 29-46, March.
- Hamilton, J.H. & Slutsky, S.M., 1988. "Endogenous Timing In Duopoly Games: Stackelberg Or Cournot Equilibria," Papers 88-4, Florida - College of Business Administration.
- Saloner, Garth, 1987. "Cournot duopoly with two production periods," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 183-187, June.
- Keith Head & Thierry Mayer & John Ries, 2002. "Revisiting Oligopolistic Reaction: Are Decisions on Foreign Direct Investment Strategic Complements?," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 11(3), pages 453-472, 09.
- Keith Head & Thierry Mayer & John Ries, 2002. "Revisiting oligopolistic reaction: are decisions on foreign direct investment strategic complements?," Post-Print hal-01017589, HAL.
- Keith Head & Thierry Mayer & John Ries, 2002. "Revisiting oligopolistic reaction: are decisions on foreign direct investment strategic complements?," Sciences Po publications info:hdl:2441/c8dmi8nm4pd, Sciences Po.
- Jean-Pierre Ponssard, 1979. "The Strategic Role of Information on the Demand Function in an Oligopolistic Market," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 25(3), pages 243-250, March.
- Henry, Claude, 1974. "Investment Decisions Under Uncertainty: The "Irreversibility Effect."," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 64(6), pages 1006-1012, December.
- Esther Hauk & Sjaak Hurkens, 2001. "Secret information acquisition in Cournot markets," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 18(3), pages 661-681.
- Esther Hauk & Sjaak Hurkens, 1996. "Secret information acquisition in Cournot markets," Economics Working Papers 233, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Aug 1997.
- Hurkens, Sjaak & Hauk, Esther, 1997. "Secret information acquisition in cournot markets," UC3M Working papers. Economics 6062, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid. Departamento de Economía.
- Sadanand, Asha & Sadanand, Venkatraman, 1996. "Firm Scale and the Endogenous Timing of Entry: a Choice between Commitment and Flexibility," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 70(2), pages 516-530, August.
- McGahan, A. M., 1993. "The effect of incomplete information about demand on preemption," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 327-346, September.
- Spencer, Barbara J. & Brander, James A., 1992. "Pre-commitment and flexibility : Applications to oligopoly theory," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 36(8), pages 1601-1626, December. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)