Tax earmarking, party politics and gubernatorial veto: theory and evidence from US states
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Besley, Timothy & Case, Anne, 1995.
"Incumbent Behavior: Vote-Seeking, Tax-Setting, and Yardstick Competition,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 85(1), pages 25-45, March.
- Timothy Besley & Anne Case, 1992. "Incumbent Behavior: Vote Seeking, Tax Setting and Yardstick Competition," NBER Working Papers 4041, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Grossman, Gene M. & Helpman, Elhanan, 2008.
"Separation of powers and the budget process,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 92(3-4), pages 407-425, April.
- Grossman, Gene & Helpman, Elhanan, 2006. "Separation of Powers and the Budget Process," CEPR Discussion Papers 5745, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Gene M. Grossman & Elhanan Helpman, 2006. "Separation of Powers and the Budget Process," NBER Working Papers 12332, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Helpman, Elhanan & Grossman, Gene M., 2006. "Separation of Powers and the Budget Process," Foerder Institute for Economic Research Working Papers 275696, Tel-Aviv University > Foerder Institute for Economic Research.
- Gene M. Grossman & Elhanan Helpman, 2006. "Separation of Powers and the Budget Process," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 2119, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Anselin, Luc & Bera, Anil K. & Florax, Raymond & Yoon, Mann J., 1996. "Simple diagnostic tests for spatial dependence," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 77-104, February.
- Ruben Hernandez-Murillo & Thomas A. Garrett & Cletus C. Coughlin, 2006. "The geography, economics, and politics of lottery adoption," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue may, pages 165-180.
- Anesi, Vincent, 2006. "Earmarked taxation and political competition," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 90(4-5), pages 679-701, May.
- James M. Buchanan, 1963. "The Economics of Earmarked Taxes," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 71, pages 457-457.
- William N. Evans & Ping Zhang, 2007. "The Impact of Earmarked Lottery Revenue on K–12 Educational Expenditures," Education Finance and Policy, MIT Press, vol. 2(1), pages 40-73, January.
- Federico Revelli, 2005. "On Spatial Public Finance Empirics," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer;International Institute of Public Finance, vol. 12(4), pages 475-492, August.
- Landry, Craig E. & Price, Michael K., 2007. "Earmarking lottery proceeds for public goods: Empirical evidence from U.S. lotto expenditures," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 95(3), pages 451-455, June.
- Charles M. Tiebout, 1956. "A Pure Theory of Local Expenditures," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 64, pages 416-416.
- Athanassakos, Alex, 1990. "General Fund Financing versus Earmarked Taxes: An Alternative Model of Budgetary Choice in a Democracy," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 66(3), pages 261-278, September.
- Richard F. Dye & Therese J. McGuire, 1992. "The Effect of Earmarked Revenues On the Level and Composition of Expenditures," Public Finance Review, , vol. 20(4), pages 543-556, October.
- Joris Pinkse & Margaret E. Slade & Craig Brett, 2002. "Spatial Price Competition: A Semiparametric Approach," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 70(3), pages 1111-1153, May.
- Browning, Edgar K, 1975. "Collective Choice and General Fund Financing," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 83(2), pages 377-390, April.
- Jeremy J Jackson, 2011. "A legislative bargaining approach to earmarked public expenditures," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 31(3), pages 2006-2020.
- Brown, Ryan P. & Rork, Jonathan C., 2005. "Copycat gaming: A spatial analysis of state lottery structure," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(6), pages 795-807, November.
- Neva Novarro, 2004. "Do Policy-Makers Earmark to Constrain their Successors? The Case of Environmental Earmarking," Working Papers 0408, College of the Holy Cross, Department of Economics.
- Moe, Terry M, 1991. "Politics and the Theory of Organization," Journal of Law, Economics, and Organization, Oxford University Press, vol. 7(0), pages 106-129, Special I.
- Brett, Craig & Keen, Michael, 2000. "Political uncertainty and the earmarking of environmental taxes," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 75(3), pages 315-340, March.
- Dhillon, Amrita & Perroni, Carlo, 2001. "Tax earmarking and grass-roots accountability," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 72(1), pages 99-106, July.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Vera Z. Eichenauer & Simon Hug, 2018. "The politics of special purpose trust funds," Economics and Politics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 30(2), pages 211-255, July.
- Stivender Carol O. & Gaggl Paul & Amato Louis H. & Farrow-Chestnut Tonya E., 2016. "The Impact of Education Earmarking on State-Level Lottery Sales," The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy, De Gruyter, vol. 16(3), pages 1473-1500, September.
More about this item
KeywordsEarmarking; Veto; Spatial autocorrelation; Separation of powers; D72; D78; H41; H71;
- D72 - Microeconomics - - Analysis of Collective Decision-Making - - - Political Processes: Rent-seeking, Lobbying, Elections, Legislatures, and Voting Behavior
- D78 - Microeconomics - - Analysis of Collective Decision-Making - - - Positive Analysis of Policy Formulation and Implementation
- H41 - Public Economics - - Publicly Provided Goods - - - Public Goods
- H71 - Public Economics - - State and Local Government; Intergovernmental Relations - - - State and Local Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:pubcho:v:155:y:2013:i:1:p:1-18. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla) or (Springer Nature Abstracting and Indexing). General contact details of provider: http://www.springer.com .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.