Do state balanced budget requirements matter? Testing two explanatory frameworks
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Chaney, Barbara A. & Copley, Paul A. & Stone, Mary S., 2002. "The effect of fiscal stress and balanced budget requirements on the funding and measurement of state pension obligations," Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 21(4-5), pages 287-313.
- Shanna Rose, 2006. "Do fiscal rules dampen the political business cycle?," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 128(3), pages 407-431, September.
- Poterba, James M, 1994.
"State Responses to Fiscal Crises: The Effects of Budgetary Institutions and Politics,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 102(4), pages 799-821, August.
- James M. Poterba, 1993. "State Responses to Fiscal Crisis: The Effects of Budgetary Institutionsand Politics," NBER Working Papers 4375, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bohn, Henning & Inman, Robert P., 1996.
"Balanced-budget rules and public deficits: evidence from the U.S. states,"
Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy,
Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 13-76, December.
- Henning Bohn & Robert P. Inman, 1996. "Balanced Budget Rules and Public Deficits: Evidence from the U.S. States," NBER Working Papers 5533, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Levinson, Arik, 1998. "Balanced Budgets and Business Cycles: Evidence From the States," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association;National Tax Journal, vol. 51(4), pages 715-732, December.
- Levinson, Arik, 1998. "Balanced Budgets and Business Cycles: Evidence from the States," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 51(n. 4), pages 715-32, December.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Landon, Stuart & Smith, Constance, 2017.
"Does the design of a fiscal rule matter for welfare?,"
Elsevier, vol. 63(C), pages 226-237.
- Landon, Stuart & Smith, Constance, 2017. "Does the Design of a Fiscal Rule Matter for Welfare?," Working Papers 2017-2, University of Alberta, Department of Economics.
- Buso, Marco & Marty, Frederic & Tran, Phuong Tra, 2017.
"Public-private partnerships from budget constraints: Looking for debt hiding?,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 51(C), pages 56-84.
- Marco Buso & Frederic Marty & Tra Tran Phuong, 2014. "Public Private Partnership from Budget Constraints: Looking for Debt Hiding?," "Marco Fanno" Working Papers 0189, Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche "Marco Fanno".
- Marco Buso & Frédéric Marty & Tran-Phuong Tra, 2017. "Public-private partnerships from budget constraints: Looking for debt hiding?," Post-Print halshs-01461826, HAL.
- Marco Buso & Frédéric Marty & Tran-Phuong Tra, 2016. "Public Private Partnerships from Budget Constraints: Looking for Debt Hiding?," Working Papers halshs-01275217, HAL.
- Marco Buso & Frédéric Marty & Tran-Phuong Tra, 2014. "Public Private Partnership from Budget Constraints: Looking for Debt Hiding?," Working Papers halshs-01091725, HAL.
- Pi-Han Tsai, 2014. "State Fiscal Rules and Composition Changes in Public Spending before the Election," Public Finance Review, , vol. 42(1), pages 58-91, January.
- Christian F. Pfeil & Lars P. Feld, 2016. "Does the Swiss Debt Brake Induce Sound Federal Finances? A Synthetic Control Analysis," CESifo Working Paper Series 6044, CESifo Group Munich.
- repec:bla:pbudge:v:36:y:2016:i:4:p:94-110 is not listed on IDEAS
- John A. Dove, 2016. "Do fiscal constraints prevent default? Historical evidence from U.S. municipalities," Economics of Governance, Springer, vol. 17(2), pages 185-209, May.
- Azzimonti, Marina & Battaglini, Marco & Coate, Stephen, 2016.
"The costs and benefits of balanced budget rules: Lessons from a political economy model of fiscal policy,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 136(C), pages 45-61.
- Marina Azzimonti & Marco Battaglini & Stephen Coate, 2015. "The Costs and Benefits of Balanced Budget Rules: Lessons from a Political Economy Model of Fiscal Policy," Department of Economics Working Papers 15-03, Stony Brook University, Department of Economics.
- repec:tsa:wpaper:0069eco is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:gam:jsusta:v:9:y:2017:i:8:p:1347-:d:106591 is not listed on IDEAS
- Nancy W. Hudspeth & David F. Merriman & Richard F. Dye & Andrew W. Crosby, 2015. "Do Troubled Times Invite Cloudy Budget Reporting? The Determinants of General Fund Expenditure Share in U.S. States," Public Budgeting & Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 35(4), pages 68-89, December.
- Mahdavi, Saeid & Westerlund, Joakim, 2011. "Fiscal stringency and fiscal sustainability: Panel evidence from the American state and local governments," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 33(6), pages 953-969.
- David G. Mayes, 2013. "The euro crisis," Chapters,in: Globalisation, the Global Financial Crisis and the State, chapter 11, pages 243-271 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Phuong Nguyen-Hoang & Yilin Hou, 2014. "Local Fiscal Responses to Procyclical Changes in State Aid," Publius: The Journal of Federalism, Oxford University Press, vol. 44(4), pages 587-608.
- Erick M. Elder & Gary A. Wagner, 2013. "Revenue Cycles and Risk-Sharing in Local Governments: An Analysis of State Rainy Day Funds," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association;National Tax Journal, vol. 66(4), pages 939-960, December.
- John A. Dove, 2017. "Property Tax Limits, Balanced Budget Rules, and Line-Item Vetoes: A Long-Run View," Eastern Economic Journal, Palgrave Macmillan;Eastern Economic Association, vol. 43(2), pages 288-317, March.
- Heiko T. Burret & Lars P. Feld, 2016. "Effects of Fiscal Rules - 85 Years' Experience in Switzerland," CESifo Working Paper Series 6063, CESifo Group Munich.
- Heiko T. Burret & Lars P. Feld, 2014. "A Note on Budget Rules and Fiscal Federalism," ifo DICE Report, ifo Institute - Leibniz Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 12(1), pages 03-11, 04.
- repec:eee:poleco:v:52:y:2018:i:c:p:166-191 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:ces:ifodic:v:12:y:2014:i:1:p:19108838 is not listed on IDEAS
More about this item
KeywordsBudgeting; Institutions; Fiscal policy; Balanced budget requirements; H7; H71; H72;
- H7 - Public Economics - - State and Local Government; Intergovernmental Relations
- H71 - Public Economics - - State and Local Government; Intergovernmental Relations - - - State and Local Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue
- H72 - Public Economics - - State and Local Government; Intergovernmental Relations - - - State and Local Budget and Expenditures
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:pubcho:v:145:y:2010:i:1:p:57-79. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla) or (Rebekah McClure). General contact details of provider: http://www.springer.com .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.