Currency Areas and Equilibrium
The standard approach to optimum currency areas clashes with both modern monetary theory and empirical evidence. The present paper sets forth an equilibrium hypothesis that views the national border as the analogue of a policy measure impinging on agents' optimizing behavior. Copyright Kluwer Academic Publishers 1997
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 8 (1997)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/economics/international+economics/journal/11079/PS2|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Genberg, Hans, 1989. " Exchange Rate Management and Macroeconomic Policy: A National Perspective," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 91(2), pages 439-469.
- Melitz, Jacques, 1995. "The current impasse in research on optimum currency areas," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 39(3-4), pages 492-500, April.
- Krugman, P., 1993. "What Do We Need to Know About the International Monetary System?," Princeton Studies in International Economics 190, International Economics Section, Departement of Economics Princeton University,.
- Thomas Willett & Edward Tower, 1970. "Currency areas and exchange-rate flexibility," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer;Institut für Weltwirtschaft (Kiel Institute for the World Economy), vol. 105(1), pages 48-65, September.
- McCallum, John, 1995. "National Borders Matter: Canada-U.S. Regional Trade Patterns," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 85(3), pages 615-623, June.
- David E. Laidler, 1988.
"Taking Money Seriously,"
Canadian Journal of Economics,
Canadian Economics Association, vol. 21(4), pages 687-713, November.
- Laidler, D., 1988. "Taking Money Seriously," UWO Department of Economics Working Papers 8804, University of Western Ontario, Department of Economics.
- Penelope Hartland, 1949. "Interregional Payments Compared with International Payments," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 63(3), pages 392-407. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)