Effects of Tariffication: Tariffs and Quotas under Monopolistic Competition
Recent rounds of GATT and later WTO have advocated widespread tariffication, meaning that existing non-tariff barriers be converted into import equivalent tariffs. From an economic point of view, the effects of such tariffication are not entirely clear. The paper presents a trade model with monopolistic competition to examine the welfare effects of tariffication. The ranking of pre- and post-tariffication welfare crucially depends on the nature of the initial trade barrier and the tariff tool applied. Tariffication using a specific (ad valorem) tariff results in the same (reduced) welfare level compared to an initial sold quota, whereas welfare is increased (the same) compared to an initial shared quota. Copyright Springer Science+Business Media, LLC 2007
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- D. B. Suits & R. A. Musgrave, 1953. "Ad Valorem and Unit Taxes Compared," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 67(4), pages 598-604.
- Analysis, A Welfare & Das, Satya P. & Donnenfeld, Shabtai, 1987. "Trade policy and its impact on quality of imports," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(1-2), pages 77-95, August.
- James E. Anderson, 1988. "The Relative Inefficiency of Quotas," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262511789, December.
- Hideki Konishi, 1999. "Tariffs versus Quotas with Strategic Investment," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 32(1), pages 71-91, February.
- Kar-yiu Wong & Ben Lockwood, 1997.
"Specific and Ad Valorem Tariffs are not Equivalent in Trade Wars,"
Discussion Papers in Economics at the University of Washington
0081, Department of Economics at the University of Washington.
- Lockwood, Ben & Wong, Kar-yiu, 2000. "Specific and ad valorem tariffs are not equivalent in trade wars," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 52(1), pages 183-195, October.
- Kar-yiu Wong & Ben Lockwood, 1997. "Specific and Ad Valorem Tariffs are not Equivalent in Trade Wars," Working Papers 0081, University of Washington, Department of Economics.
- Lockwood, B. & Wong, K.Y., 1996. "Specific and Ad Valorem Tariffs Are Not Equivalent in Trade Wars," Discussion Papers 9602, Exeter University, Department of Economics.
- Nguyen, Trien & Perroni, Carlo & Wigle, Randall, 1993. "An Evaluation of the Draft Final Act of the Uruguay Round," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 103(421), pages 1540-49, November.
- Romer, Paul, 1994.
"New goods, old theory, and the welfare costs of trade restrictions,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 43(1), pages 5-38, February.
- Paul M. Romer, 1993. "New Goods, Old Theory, and the Welfare Costs of Trade Restrictions," NBER Working Papers 4452, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kaempfer, William H & Marks, Stephen V, 1994. "The Possibility of Inefficient Liberalization through Tariffication," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 2(2), pages 123-30, June.
- Nguyen, T. & Perroni, C. & Wigle, R., 1993. "An Evaluation of the Final Act of the Uruguay Round," Working Papers 93003, Wilfrid Laurier University, Department of Economics.
- Sofia Delipalla & Michael Keen, 1991.
"The Comparison Between Ad Valorem and Specific Taxation under Imperfect Competition,"
821, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Delipalla, Sofia & Keen, Michael, 1992. "The comparison between ad valorem and specific taxation under imperfect competition," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(3), pages 351-367, December.
- Kowalczyk, Carsten & Skeath, Susan E., 1994. "Pareto ranking optimal tariffs under foreign monopoly," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 45(3), pages 355-359.
- Schmitt, Nicolas & Yu, Zhihao, 2001. "Economies of scale and the volume of intra-industry trade," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 74(1), pages 127-132, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:openec:v:18:y:2007:i:4:p:479-498. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.