Isolating the geodemographic characterisation of retail format choice from the effects of spatial convenience
The authors analyze the relationship between the geodemographic profile of consumers and retail format choice while accounting for the effects of spatial convenience. The proposed analytic model assumes that format choice is an implicit portion of store choice, such that a geodemographic profile functions as a determinant of format choice, and spatial convenience is a determinant of store choice. The results show that some geodemographic dimensions capture preferences for certain store formats and thereby facilitate retailers’ selection of geographic markets. The results also indicate that obviating the effect of spatial convenience may lead to biased estimations. Copyright Springer Science+Business Media, LLC 2007
Volume (Year): 18 (2007)
Issue (Month): 1 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/business+%26+management/marketing/journal/11002/PS2?detailsPage=societies|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- R Flowerdew & W Goldstein, 1989. "Geodemographics in Practice: Developments in North America," Environment and Planning A, SAGE Publishing, vol. 21(5), pages 605-616, May.
- Paul R. Messinger & Chakravarthi Narasimhan, 1997. "A Model of Retail Formats Based on Consumers' Economizing on Shopping Time," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 16(1), pages 1-23.
- Kumar, V. & Karande, Kiran, 2000. "The Effect of Retail Store Environment on Retailer Performance," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 49(2), pages 167-181, August.
- González-Benito, Óscar & Santos-Requejo, Libia, 2002. "A comparison of approaches to exploit budget allocation data in cross-sectional maximum likelihood estimation of multi-attribute choice models," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 30(5), pages 315-324, October.
- J R Beaumont & K Inglis, 1989. "Geodemographics in practice: developments in Britain and Europe," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 21(5), pages 587-604, May.
- Alan L. Montgomery, 1997. "Creating Micro-Marketing Pricing Strategies Using Supermarket Scanner Data," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 16(4), pages 315-337.
- R Flowerdew & W Goldstein, 1989. "Geodemographics in practice: developments in North America," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 21(5), pages 605-616, May.
- J R Beaumont & K Inglis, 1989. "Geodemographics in Practice: Developments in Britain and Europe," Environment and Planning A, SAGE Publishing, vol. 21(5), pages 587-604, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:mktlet:v:18:y:2007:i:1:p:45-59. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.