Gender, risk and stereotypes
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Peter Brooks & Horst Zank, 2005. "Loss Averse Behavior," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 31(3), pages 301-325, December.
- Catherine C. Eckel & Philip J. Grossman, 2002. "Sex Differences and Statistical Stereotyping in Attitudes Toward Financial Risk," Monash Economics Working Papers archive-03, Monash University, Department of Economics.
- Hersch, Joni, 1998. "Compensating Differentials for Gender-Specific Job Injury Risks," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 88(3), pages 598-627, June.
- Siegrist, Michael & Cvetkovich, George & Gutscher, Heinz, 2002. "Risk Preference Predictions and Gender Stereotypes," Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 91-102, January.
- Bajtelsmit, Vickie L. & Bernasek, Alexandra & Jianakoplos, Nancy A., 1999. "Gender differences in defined contribution pension decisions," Financial Services Review, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 1-10.
- Jianakoplos, Nancy Ammon & Bernasek, Alexandra, 1998. "Are Women More Risk Averse?," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 36(4), pages 620-630, October.
- Sujoy Chakravarty & Glenn W. Harrison & Ernan E. Haruvy & E. Elisabet Rutström, 2011. "Are You Risk Averse over Other People's Money?," Southern Economic Journal, Southern Economic Association, vol. 77(4), pages 901-913, April.
- Charles A. Holt & Susan K. Laury, 2002. "Risk Aversion and Incentive Effects," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 92(5), pages 1644-1655, December.
- Kruse, Jamie Brown & Thompson, Mark A., 2003. "Valuing low probability risk: survey and experimental evidence," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 50(4), pages 495-505, April.
- Brown Kruse, Jamie & Thompson, Mark A., 2001. "A comparison of salient rewards in experiments: money and class points," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 74(1), pages 113-117, December.
- Powell, Melanie & Ansic, David, 1997. "Gender differences in risk behaviour in financial decision-making: An experimental analysis," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 18(6), pages 605-628, November.
- Fredrik Carlsson & Dinky Daruvala & Olof Johansson-Stenman, 2005. "Are People Inequality-Averse, or Just Risk-Averse?," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 72(3), pages 375-396, August.
- Renate Schubert, 1999. "Financial Decision-Making: Are Women Really More Risk-Averse?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 89(2), pages 381-385, May.
- Sunden, Annika E & Surette, Brian J, 1998. "Gender Differences in the Allocation of Assets in Retirement Savings Plans," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 88(2), pages 207-211, May.
- Isaac, R Mark & James, Duncan, 2000. "Just Who Are You Calling Risk Averse?," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 20(2), pages 177-187, March.
- Palsson, Anne-Marie, 1996. "Does the degree of relative risk aversion vary with household characteristics?," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 17(6), pages 771-787, December.
- Schmidt, Ulrich & Traub, Stefan, 2002. "An Experimental Test of Loss Aversion," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 25(3), pages 233-249, November.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ertac, Seda & Gurdal, Mehmet Y., 2012.
"Deciding to decide: Gender, leadership and risk-taking in groups,"
Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 83(1), pages 24-30.
- Seda Ertac & Mehmet Y. Gurdal, 2010. "Deciding to Decide: Gender, Leadership and Risk-Taking in Groups," Koç University-TUSIAD Economic Research Forum Working Papers 1028, Koc University-TUSIAD Economic Research Forum.
- Antoine Marsaudon & Lise Rochaix, 2017.
"Impact of acute health shocks on cigarette consumption
[Impact d'un choc de santé sur la consommation de cigarette]," PSE Working Papers halshs-01626024, HAL.
- Krüger, Niclas A & Svensson, Mikael, 2007. "The Impact of Real Options on Willingness to Pay for Investments in Road Safety," Working Papers 2007:9, Örebro University, School of Business, revised 17 Oct 2008.
- Alain Cohn & Ernst Fehr & Michel André Maréchal, 2017.
"Do professional norms in the banking industry favor risk-taking?,"
ECON - Working Papers
244, Department of Economics - University of Zurich.
- Alain Cohn & Ernst Fehr & Michel André Maréchal, 2017. "Do Professional Norms in the Banking Industry Favor Risk-taking?," CESifo Working Paper Series 6398, CESifo Group Munich.
- Kvaløy, Ola & Eriksen, Kristoffer & Luzuriaga , Miguel, 2014. "Risk-taking with Other People’s Money," UiS Working Papers in Economics and Finance 2014/21, University of Stavanger.
- Ellen Garbarino & Robert Slonim & Justin Sydnor, 2011. "Digit ratios (2D:4D) as predictors of risky decision making for both sexes," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 42(1), pages 1-26, February.
- Antoine Marsaudon & Lise Rochaix, 2010. "Impact of acute health shocks on cigarette consumption: A combined DiD-matching strategy to address endogeneity issues in the French Gazel panel data," PSE Working Papers halshs-01626187, HAL.
- Kristoffer W. Eriksen & Ola Kvaløy & Miguel Luzuriaga, 2017. "Risk-taking on Behalf of Others," CESifo Working Paper Series 6378, CESifo Group Munich.
- Frederik Carlsson & Mitesh Kataria & Elina Lampi & M. Vittoria Levati, 2010.
"Doing good with other people's money: A charitable giving experiment with students in environmental sciences and economics,"
Jena Economic Research Papers
2010-089, Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena.
- Carlsson, Fredrik & Kataria, Mitesh & Lampi, Elina & Levati, M., Vittoria, 2011. "Doing good with other people’s money: A charitable giving experiment with students in environmental sciences and economics," Working Papers in Economics 487, University of Gothenburg, Department of Economics.
- Andrea Leuermann & Benjamin Roth, 2012. "Does Good Advice Come Cheap?: On the Assessment of Risk Preferences in the Lab and in the Field," SOEPpapers on Multidisciplinary Panel Data Research 475, DIW Berlin, The German Socio-Economic Panel (SOEP).
- Roth, Benjamin & Voskort, Andrea, 2014. "Stereotypes and false consensus: How financial professionals predict risk preferences," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 107(PB), pages 553-565.
- Leuermann, Andrea & Roth, Benjamin, 2012. "Does good advice come cheap? - On the assessment of risk preferences in the lab and the field," Working Papers 0534, University of Heidelberg, Department of Economics.
- Natalia Montinari & Michela Rancan, 2013.
"Social preferences under risk : the role of social distance,"
RSCAS Working Papers
2013/90, European University Institute.
- Natalia Montinari & Michela Rancan, 2013. "Social Preferences under Risk: the Role of Social Distance," Jena Economic Research Papers 2013-050, Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena.
- Sheryl Ball & Catherine Eckel & Maria Heracleous, 2010.
"Risk aversion and physical prowess: Prediction, choice and bias,"
Journal of Risk and Uncertainty,
Springer, vol. 41(3), pages 167-193, December.
- Sheryl Ball & Catherine C. Eckel & Maria Heracleous, 2008. "Risk Aversion and Physical Prowess: Prediction, Choice and Bias," Working Papers e07-11, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Department of Economics.
- Krüger, Niclas A. & Svensson, Mikael, 2009. "The impact of real options on willingness to pay for mortality risk reductions," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 563-569, May.
More about this item
KeywordsGender; Risk aversion; Risk predictions; A12; C91; D81; J16;
- A12 - General Economics and Teaching - - General Economics - - - Relation of Economics to Other Disciplines
- C91 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Design of Experiments - - - Laboratory, Individual Behavior
- D81 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Criteria for Decision-Making under Risk and Uncertainty
- J16 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demographic Economics - - - Economics of Gender; Non-labor Discrimination
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:jrisku:v:35:y:2007:i:3:p:265-283. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla) or (Rebekah McClure). General contact details of provider: http://www.springer.com .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.