Valuing Mortgage Insurance Contracts in Emerging Market Economies
We develop a new option-based method for the valuation of mortgage insurance contracts in closed form in an economy where agents are risk neutral. While the proposed valuation method is general and can be used in any market, it may be particularly useful in emerging market economies where other existing methods may be either inappropriate or are too difficult to implement because of the lack of relevant data. As an application, we price a typical Serbian government-backed mortgage insurance contract. Copyright Springer Science + Business Media, Inc. 2006
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Glenn B. Canner & Wayne Passmore & Monisha Mittal, 1994. "Private mortgage insurance," Federal Reserve Bulletin, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.), issue Oct, pages 883-899.
- Patric H. Hendershott & Robert Van Order, 1987. "Pricing Mortgages: An Interpretation of the Models and Results," NBER Working Papers 2290, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Barry Dennis & Chionglong Kuo & Tyler Yang, 1997. "Rationales of Mortgage Insurance Premium Structures," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 14(3), pages 359-378.
- Ambrose, Brent W & Capone, Charles A, Jr & Deng, Yongheng, 2001. "Optimal Put Exercise: An Empirical Examination of Conditions for Mortgage Foreclosure," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 23(2), pages 213-34, September.
- Yongheng Deng & John M. Quigley & Robert Van Order, .
"Mortgage Terminations, Heterogeneity and the Exercise of Mortgage Options,"
Zell/Lurie Center Working Papers
322, Wharton School Samuel Zell and Robert Lurie Real Estate Center, University of Pennsylvania.
- Yongheng Deng & John M. Quigley & Robert Van Order, 2000. "Mortgage Terminations, Heterogeneity and the Exercise of Mortgage Options," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 68(2), pages 275-308, March.
- Deng, Yongheng & Quigley, John M. & Van Order, Robert, 1999. "Mortgage Terminations, Heterogeneity, and the Exercise of Mortgage Options," Berkeley Program on Housing and Urban Policy, Working Paper Series qt96r560pg, Berkeley Program on Housing and Urban Policy.
- Black, Fischer & Scholes, Myron S, 1973. "The Pricing of Options and Corporate Liabilities," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 637-54, May-June.
- Craig Swan, 1982. "Pricing Private Mortgage Insurance," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 10(3), pages 276-296.
- Kau, James B, et al, 1992. "A Generalized Valuation Model for Fixed-Rate Residential Mortgages," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 24(3), pages 279-99, August.
- Kau, James B, et al, 1995. "The Valuation at Origination of Fixed-Rate Mortgages with Default and Prepayment," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 11(1), pages 5-36, July.
- James Kau & Donald Keenan, 1999. "Catastrophic Default and Credit Risk for Lending Institutions," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer, vol. 15(2), pages 87-102, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:jrefec:v:32:y:2006:i:1:p:9-20. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.