Financial Strain and Smoking
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Robert B. Barsky & Miles S. Kimball & F. Thomas Juster & Matthew D. Shapiro, 1995. "Preference Parameters and Behavioral Heterogeneity: An Experimental Approach in the Health and Retirement Survey," NBER Working Papers 5213, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Brown, Sarah & Taylor, Karl & Wheatley Price, Stephen, 2005. "Debt and distress: Evaluating the psychological cost of credit," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 26(5), pages 642-663, October.
- Hendricks, Lutz, 2007.
"How important is discount rate heterogeneity for wealth inequality?,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 31(9), pages 3042-3068, September.
- Hendricks, Lutz A., 1970. "How Important is Discount Rate Heterogeneity for Wealth Inequaltity," Staff General Research Papers Archive 12724, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Lutz Hendricks, 2006. "How Important Is Discount Rate Heterogeneity for Wealth Inequality?," 2006 Meeting Papers 124, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Lutz Hendricks, 2005. "How Important is Discount Rate Heterogeneity for Wealth Inequality?," CESifo Working Paper Series 1604, CESifo Group Munich.
- Chaloupka, Frank J. & Warner, Kenneth E., 2000. "The economics of smoking," Handbook of Health Economics,in: A. J. Culyer & J. P. Newhouse (ed.), Handbook of Health Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 29, pages 1539-1627 Elsevier.
- Clinton Gudmunson & Ivan Beutler & Craig Israelsen & J. McCoy & E. Hill, 2007. "Linking Financial Strain to Marital Instability: Examining the Roles of Emotional Distress and Marital Interaction," Journal of Family and Economic Issues, Springer, vol. 28(3), pages 357-376, September.
- Angela C. Lyons & Tansel Yilmazer, 2005. "Health and Financial Strain: Evidence from the Survey of Consumer Finances," Southern Economic Journal, Southern Economic Association, vol. 71(4), pages 873-890, April.
- Rosen, H.S.Harvey S. & Wu, Stephen, 2004. "Portfolio choice and health status," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 72(3), pages 457-484, June.
- Sheri Worthy & Jeffrey Jonkman & Lynn Blinn-Pike, 2010. "Sensation-Seeking, Risk-Taking, and Problematic Financial Behaviors of College Students," Journal of Family and Economic Issues, Springer, vol. 31(2), pages 161-170, June.
- Irina Grafova, 2007. "Your Money or Your Life: Managing Health, Managing Money," Journal of Family and Economic Issues, Springer, vol. 28(2), pages 285-303, June.
- Robert Haveman & Edward Wolff, 2005.
"The concept and measurement of asset poverty: Levels, trends and composition for the U.S., 1983–2001,"
The Journal of Economic Inequality,
Springer;Society for the Study of Economic Inequality, vol. 2(2), pages 145-169, January.
- Robert Haveman & Edward Wolff, 2004. "The concept and measurement of asset poverty: Levels, trends and composition for the U.S., 1983–2001," The Journal of Economic Inequality, Springer;Society for the Study of Economic Inequality, vol. 2(2), pages 145-169, August.
- Wickrama, K.A.S. & Lorenz, Frederick O. & Conger, Rand D. & Elder, Glen Jr & Todd Abraham, W. & Fang, Shu-Ann, 2006. "Changes in family financial circumstances and the physical health of married and recently divorced mothers," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 63(1), pages 123-136, July.
- Chung-Ping Loh & Chin-Shyan Chen & Tsai-Ching Liu, 2009. "Multiple Dimensions of Cigarette Smoking and Responsiveness to Cigarette Price Changes in Taiwan," Journal of Family and Economic Issues, Springer, vol. 30(2), pages 203-213, June.
- Smith, Patricia K. & Bogin, Barry & Bishai, David, 2005. "Are time preference and body mass index associated?: Evidence from the National Longitudinal Survey of Youth," Economics & Human Biology, Elsevier, vol. 3(2), pages 259-270, July.
- repec:aph:ajpbhl:10.2105/ajph.2009.172676_0 is not listed on IDEAS
- Reading, Richard & Reynolds, Shirley, 2001. "Debt, social disadvantage and maternal depression," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 53(4), pages 441-453, August.
- Edward N. Wolff, 1998. "Recent Trends in the Size Distribution of Household Wealth," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 12(3), pages 131-150, Summer.
- Angela Lyons & Hyungsoo Kim, 2007. "No Pain, No Strain: Impact of Health on the Financial Security of Older Americans," NFI Working Papers 2007-WP-12, Indiana State University, Scott College of Business, Networks Financial Institute.
- Becker, Gary S & Murphy, Kevin M, 1988.
"A Theory of Rational Addiction,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 96(4), pages 675-700, August.
- Gary S. Becker & Kevin M. Murphy, 1986. "A Theory of Rational Addiction," University of Chicago - George G. Stigler Center for Study of Economy and State 41, Chicago - Center for Study of Economy and State.
- Farrell, Phillip & Fuchs, Victor R. & Fuchs, Victor R., 1982. "Schooling and health : The cigarette connection," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 1(3), pages 217-230, December.
- Robert B. Barsky & F. Thomas Juster & Miles S. Kimball & Matthew D. Shapiro, 1997. "Preference Parameters and Behavioral Heterogeneity: An Experimental Approach in the Health and Retirement Study," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 112(2), pages 537-579.
- Barnes Michael G & Smith Trenton G., 2009. "Tobacco Use as Response to Economic Insecurity: Evidence from the National Longitudinal Survey of Youth," The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy, De Gruyter, vol. 9(1), pages 1-29, November.
- Drentea, Patricia & Lavrakas, Paul J., 2000. "Over the limit: the association among health, race and debt," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 50(4), pages 517-529, February.
- Craig A. Gallet & John A. List, 2003. "Cigarette demand: a meta-analysis of elasticities," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 12(10), pages 821-835.
- Hope, Steven & Power, Chris & Rodgers, Bryan, 1999. "Does financial hardship account for elevated psychological distress in lone mothers?," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 49(12), pages 1637-1649, December.
- Khwaja, Ahmed & Silverman, Dan & Sloan, Frank, 2007.
"Time preference, time discounting, and smoking decisions,"
Journal of Health Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 26(5), pages 927-949, September.
- Ahmed Khwaja & Dan Silverman & Frank Sloan, 2006. "Time Preference, Time Discounting, and Smoking Decisions," NBER Working Papers 12615, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Frederick J. Zimmerman & Wayne Katon, 2005. "Socioeconomic status, depression disparities, and financial strain: what lies behind the income-depression relationship?," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(12), pages 1197-1215.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Yunhee Chang & Swarn Chatterjee & Jinhee Kim, 2014. "Household Finance and Food Insecurity," Journal of Family and Economic Issues, Springer, vol. 35(4), pages 499-515, December.
- repec:eee:finana:v:62:y:2019:i:c:p:150-156 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:kap:reveho:v:17:y:2019:i:1:d:10.1007_s11150-017-9373-1 is not listed on IDEAS
- Pesko, Michael F. & Baum, Christopher F., 2016.
"The self-medication hypothesis: Evidence from terrorism and cigarette accessibility,"
Economics & Human Biology,
Elsevier, vol. 22(C), pages 94-102.
- Michael Pesko & Christopher F Baum, 2014. "The Self-Medication Hypothesis: Evidence from Terrorism and Cigarette Accessibility," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 865, Boston College Department of Economics, revised 07 Feb 2016.
- repec:eee:socmed:v:193:y:2017:i:c:p:118-126 is not listed on IDEAS
- Yunhee Chang & Jinhee Kim & Swarn Chatterjee, 2018. "Health Care Expenditures, Financial Stability, and Participation in the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)," Papers 1811.05421, arXiv.org.
- repec:bla:ecinqu:v:56:y:2018:i:4:p:2099-2115 is not listed on IDEAS
More about this item
KeywordsFamily financial strain; Panel Study of Income Dynamics; Smoking;
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:jfamec:v:32:y:2011:i:2:p:327-340. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla) or (Mallaigh Nolan). General contact details of provider: http://www.springer.com .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.