Generalized Gini Indices of Equality of Opportunity
This article considers the ranking of profiles of opportunity sets on the basis of their equality. A version of the Pigou-Dalton transfer principle that is appropriate for the measurement of opportunity inequality is introduced and used to axiomatize the class of generalized Gini equality of opportunity orderings. A characterization of the class of generalized Gini social preference orderings for opportunity profiles is also provided.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
Volume (Year): 1 (2003)
Issue (Month): 1 (April)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
Web page: http://www.ecineq.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/economics/growth/journal/10888/PS2|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ok, Efe A., 1997.
"On Opportunity Inequality Measurement,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 77(2), pages 300-329, December.
- Laurence Kranich, 1996. "Equitable opportunities in economic environments," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer;The Society for Social Choice and Welfare, vol. 14(1), pages 57-64.
- Savaglio, Ernesto & Vannucci, Stefano, 2007. "Filtral preorders and opportunity inequality," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 132(1), pages 474-492, January.
- Barbera, S. & Bossert, W. & Pattanaik, P.K., 2001.
"Ranking Sets of Objects,"
Cahiers de recherche
2001-02, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Prasanta K. PATTANAIK & Yongsheng XU, 1990. "On Ranking Opportunity Sets in Terms of Freedom of Choice," Discussion Papers (REL - Recherches Economiques de Louvain) 1990036, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Herrero, Carmen, 1997. "Equitable opportunities: an extension," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 55(1), pages 91-95, August.
- Bossert, Walter, 1990. "An axiomatization of the single-series Ginis," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 50(1), pages 82-92, February.
- WEYMARK, John A., .
"Generalized Gini inequality indices,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
453, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Laurence Kranich, 2009.
"Measuring opportunity inequality with monetary transfers,"
The Journal of Economic Inequality,
Springer;Society for the Study of Economic Inequality, vol. 7(4), pages 371-385, December.
- Laurence Kranich, 1999. "Measuring Opportunity Inequality with Monetary Transfers," Discussion Papers 99-02, University at Albany, SUNY, Department of Economics.
- Efe A. Ok & Laurence Kranich, 1998. "The measurement of opportunity inequality: a cardinality-based approach," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer;The Society for Social Choice and Welfare, vol. 15(2), pages 263-287.
- Donaldson, David & Weymark, John A., 1980. "A single-parameter generalization of the Gini indices of inequality," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 67-86, February.
- Kranich, L., 1993.
"Equitable Opportunities: An Axiomatic Approach,"
3-93-1, Pennsylvania State - Department of Economics.
- Herrero, Carmen & Iturbe-Ormaetxe, Inigo & Nieto, Jorge, 1998. "Ranking opportunity profiles on the basis of the common opportunities," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 273-289, May.
- Peragine, Vitorocco, 1999. " The Distribution and Redistribution of Opportunity," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 13(1), pages 37-69, February.
- Einy, Ezra & Peleg, Bezalel, 1991. "Linear measures of inequality for cooperative games," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 53(2), pages 328-344, April.
- Atkinson, Anthony B., 1970. "On the measurement of inequality," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 244-263, September.
- Nicolas Gravel & Jean-Francois Laslier & Alain Trannoy, 2000. "Consistency between tastes and values: A universalization approach," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer;The Society for Social Choice and Welfare, vol. 17(2), pages 293-320.
- Dirk Van de gaer & Marc Fleurbaey & Walter Bossert, 1999. "Responsibility, talent, and compensation: A second-best analysis," Review of Economic Design, Springer;Society for Economic Design, vol. 4(1), pages 35-55.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:jecinq:v:1:y:2003:i:1:p:5-24. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.