Decomposing equality of opportunity by income sources
An opportunity egalitarian view focus not only on equality of outcomes but essentially on the means or opportunities to realize such outcomes. In this paper we propose a methodology to decompose an opportunity egalitarian Atkinson index by income sources seeking for a measure of overall equality into an opportunity and a responsibility component.
Volume (Year): 29 (2009)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lerman, Robert I & Yitzhaki, Shlomo, 1985. "Income Inequality Effects by Income," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 67(1), pages 151-56, February.
- Udo Ebert, 1999. "Dual Decomposable Inequality Measures," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 32(1), pages 234-246, February.
- John A. Weymark, 2001.
"Generalized Gini Indices of Equality of Opportunity,"
Vanderbilt University Department of Economics Working Papers
0114, Vanderbilt University Department of Economics, revised Jun 2002.
- John Weymark, 2003. "Generalized Gini Indices of Equality of Opportunity," Journal of Economic Inequality, Springer, vol. 1(1), pages 5-24, April.
- Villar Antonio, 2005. "On the Welfare Evaluation of Income and Opportunity," The B.E. Journal of Theoretical Economics, De Gruyter, vol. 5(1), pages 1-21, June.
- Frank Cowell, 1998.
"Measurement of inequality,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
2084, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Silber, Jacques, 1989. "Factor Components, Population Subgroups and the Computation of the Gini Index of Inequality," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 71(1), pages 107-15, February.
- Silber, Jacques, 1993. "Inequality Decomposition by Income," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 75(3), pages 545-47, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ebl:ecbull:eb-09-00232. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (John P. Conley)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.