The Ethics of Online Retailing: A Scale Development and Validation from the Consumersâ€™ Perspective
While e-commerce has witnessed extensive growth in recent years, so has consumersâ€™ concerns regarding ethical issues surrounding online shopping. The vast majority of earlier research on this area is conceptual in nature, and limited in scope by focusing on consumersâ€™ privacy issues. This study develops a reliable and valid scale to measure consumersâ€™ perceptions regarding the ethics of online retailers (CPEOR). Findings indicate that the four factors of the scale â€“ security, privacy, non-deception and fulfillment/reliability â€“ are strongly predictive of online consumersâ€™ satisfaction and trust. The results offer important implications for e-retailers and are likely to stimulate further research in the area of e-ethics from the consumersâ€™ perspective. Copyright Springer Science+Business Media, Inc. 2007
Volume (Year): 72 (2007)
Issue (Month): 2 (May)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/social+sciences/applied+ethics/journal/10551/PS2|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Oliver, Richard L & DeSarbo, Wayne S, 1988. " Response Determinants in Satisfaction Judgments," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 14(4), pages 495-507, March.
- Bette Stead & Jackie Gilbert, 2001. "Ethical Issues in Electronic Commerce," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 34(2), pages 75-85, November.
- Jarvis, Cheryl Burke & MacKenzie, Scott B & Podsakoff, Philip M, 2003. " A Critical Review of Construct Indicators and Measurement Model Misspecification in Marketing and Consumer Research," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 30(2), pages 199-218, September.
- Avner Ben-Ner & Louis Putterman, "undated". "Trust in the New Economy," Working Papers 1102, Human Resources and Labor Studies, University of Minnesota (Twin Cities Campus).
- Marc Le Menestrel & Mark Hunter & Henri Claude de Bettignies, 2001. "Internet e-ethics in confrontation with an activists' agenda: Yahoo! on trial," Economics Working Papers 577, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Ferber, Robert, 1977. " Research by Convenience," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 4(1), pages 57-58, June.
- Muncy, James A. & Vitell, Scott J., 1992. "Consumer ethics: An investigation of the ethical beliefs of the final consumer," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 24(4), pages 297-311, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:jbuset:v:72:y:2007:i:2:p:131-148. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.