The Ethics of Online Retailing: A Scale Development and Validation from the Consumersâ€™ Perspective
While e-commerce has witnessed extensive growth in recent years, so has consumersâ€™ concerns regarding ethical issues surrounding online shopping. The vast majority of earlier research on this area is conceptual in nature, and limited in scope by focusing on consumersâ€™ privacy issues. This study develops a reliable and valid scale to measure consumersâ€™ perceptions regarding the ethics of online retailers (CPEOR). Findings indicate that the four factors of the scale â€“ security, privacy, non-deception and fulfillment/reliability â€“ are strongly predictive of online consumersâ€™ satisfaction and trust. The results offer important implications for e-retailers and are likely to stimulate further research in the area of e-ethics from the consumersâ€™ perspective. Copyright Springer Science+Business Media, Inc. 2007
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Muncy, James A. & Vitell, Scott J., 1992. "Consumer ethics: An investigation of the ethical beliefs of the final consumer," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 24(4), pages 297-311, June.
- Marc Le Menestrel & Mark Hunter & Henri Claude de Bettignies, 2001. "Internet e-ethics in confrontation with an activists' agenda: Yahoo! on trial," Economics Working Papers 577, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Bette Stead & Jackie Gilbert, 2001. "Ethical Issues in Electronic Commerce," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 34(2), pages 75-85, November.
- Oliver, Richard L & DeSarbo, Wayne S, 1988. " Response Determinants in Satisfaction Judgments," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 14(4), pages 495-507, March.
- Avner Ben-Ner & Louis Putterman, . "Trust in the New Economy," Working Papers 1102, Human Resources and Labor Studies, University of Minnesota (Twin Cities Campus).
- Jarvis, Cheryl Burke & MacKenzie, Scott B & Podsakoff, Philip M, 2003. " A Critical Review of Construct Indicators and Measurement Model Misspecification in Marketing and Consumer Research," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 30(2), pages 199-218, September.
- Ferber, Robert, 1977. " Research by Convenience," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 4(1), pages 57-58, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:jbuset:v:72:y:2007:i:2:p:131-148. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.