Any need for coordination of policies towards transit traffic with a negative local externality?
International transit traffic between countries can be expected to increase in the future. This paper investigates whether international policy coordination is appropriate in the case of international transit traffic causing a local environmental externality. This issue is analysed in a two-country model where traffic is used as an input in production. It is found that individual optimization of the countries is likely to result in an outcome with less than optimal international traffic, i.e. too little pollution compared with optimum. Copyright Kluwer Academic Publishers 1996
Volume (Year): 8 (1996)
Issue (Month): 2 (September)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100263|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Markusen, James R. & Morey, Edward R. & Olewiler, Nancy, 1995. "Competition in regional environmental policies when plant locations are endogenous," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 56(1), pages 55-77, January.
- Baumol,William J. & Oates,Wallace E., 1988.
"The Theory of Environmental Policy,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521311120, November.
- Hoel, Michael, 2011. "Environmental R&D," Memorandum 12/2010, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Verhoef, Erik, 1994. "External effects and social costs of road transport," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 28(4), pages 273-287, July.
- Nijkamp, P., 1993.
"Roads towards environmentally sustainable transport,"
Serie Research Memoranda
0069, VU University Amsterdam, Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Econometrics.
- Nijkamp, Peter, 1994. "Roads toward environmentally sustainable transport," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 28(4), pages 261-271, July.
- Oates, Wallace E. & Schwab, Robert M., 1988. "Economic competition among jurisdictions: efficiency enhancing or distortion inducing?," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 333-354, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:enreec:v:8:y:1996:i:2:p:221-245. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.