Bioeconomic Analysis and Management
This article discusses bioeconomic analysis and different management strategies in fisheries. It reviews recent developments, which show the need to expand the analysis to multispecies fisheries and management. Significant gains can be made if the interdependencies between species and/or jointness in inputs for many fisheries are identified. Both common property resource management and individual transferable quotas (ITQs) can be fruitful strategies in different settings. The article suggests that there is scope for the development of a multiple use management approach of marine resources. Besides the aim of an efficient use of fish stocks, equal attention should be given to other values from aquatic ecosystems, like ecological services, biodiversity and recreation possibilities. Copyright Kluwer Academic Publishers 1998
Volume (Year): 11 (1998)
Issue (Month): 3 (April)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100263|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Townsend, Ralph E, 1995. "Transferable dynamic stock rights," Marine Policy, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 153-158, March.
- Parzival Copes, 1986. "A Critical Review of the Individual Quota as a Device in Fisheries Management," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 62(3), pages 278-291.
- Conrad, Jon M. & Adu-Asamoah, Richard, 1986. "Single and multispecies systems: The the Eastern Tropical Atlantic," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 50-68, March.
- Munro, Gordon R. & Scott, Anthony D., 1985. "The economics of fisheries management," Handbook of Natural Resource and Energy Economics, in: A. V. Kneese† & J. L. Sweeney (ed.), Handbook of Natural Resource and Energy Economics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 14, pages 623-676 Elsevier.
- Townsend, Ralph E., 1986. "A critique of models of the American lobster fishery," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 277-291, September.
- Baland, Jean-Marie & Platteau, Jean-Philippe, 2000. "Halting Degradation of Natural Resources: Is There a Role for Rural Communities?," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198290612, March.
- Hanna, Susan S., 1997. "The new frontier of American fisheries governance," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 221-233, March.
- Hannesson, Rognvaldur, 1997. "Fishing as a Supergame," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 309-322, March.
- Christian Azar & Kristian Lindgren & John Holmberg, 1996. "Constant quota versus constant effort harvesting," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 7(2), pages 193-196, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:enreec:v:11:y:1998:i:3:p:399-411. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.