Eliciting Preferences on Multiattribute Societies with a Choquet Integral
This paper aims at reexamining the construction of indicators of standards of living, by focussing on the challenges raised by the subjectivity and the multidimensionality of living conditions. For that purpose, we propose to apply Choquet integral-based multiattribute value theory to the elicitation, from rankings of multiattribute hypothetical societies, of individual's preferences on different dimensions of living conditions. A simple application of the proposed approach highlights the existence of complementarities and redundancies between different dimensions of standards of living, and reveals a strong heterogeneity of individual preferences on hypothetical societies. We explore also how elicited preferences can be used to cast a new light on the ranking of actual multiattribute societies.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
Volume (Year): 37 (2011)
Issue (Month): 2 (February)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/economics/economic+theory/journal/10614/PS2|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alain Chateauneuf & Jean-Yves Jaffray, 2008.
"Some Characterizations of Lower Probabilities and Other Monotone Capacities through the Use of Mobius Inversion,"
Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers)
- Chateauneuf, Alain & Jaffray, Jean-Yves, 1989. "Some characterizations of lower probabilities and other monotone capacities through the use of Mobius inversion," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 263-283, June.
- Browning, Martin & Hansen, Lars Peter & Heckman, James J., 1999.
"Micro data and general equilibrium models,"
Handbook of Macroeconomics,
in: J. B. Taylor & M. Woodford (ed.), Handbook of Macroeconomics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 8, pages 543-633
- Gary S. Becker & Tomas J. Philipson & Rodrigo R. Soares, 2003.
"The Quantity and Quality of Life and the Evolution of World Inequality,"
NBER Working Papers
9765, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gary S. Becker & Tomas J. Philipson & Rodrigo R. Soares, 2005. "The Quantity and Quality of Life and the Evolution of World Inequality," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 95(1), pages 277-291, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:compec:v:37:y:2011:i:2:p:133-168. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.