Eliciting Preferences on Multiattribute Societies with a Choquet Integral
This paper aims at reexamining the construction of indicators of standards of living, by focussing on the challenges raised by the subjectivity and the multidimensionality of living conditions. For that purpose, we propose to apply Choquet integral-based multiattribute value theory to the elicitation, from rankings of multiattribute hypothetical societies, of individual's preferences on different dimensions of living conditions. A simple application of the proposed approach highlights the existence of complementarities and redundancies between different dimensions of standards of living, and reveals a strong heterogeneity of individual preferences on hypothetical societies. We explore also how elicited preferences can be used to cast a new light on the ranking of actual multiattribute societies.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 37 (2011)
Issue (Month): 2 (February)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/economics/economic+theory/journal/10614/PS2|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gary S. Becker & Tomas J. Philipson & Rodrigo R. Soares, 2005.
"The Quantity and Quality of Life and the Evolution of World Inequality,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 95(1), pages 277-291, March.
- Gary S. Becker & Tomas J. Philipson & Rodrigo R. Soares, 2003. "The Quantity and Quality of Life and the Evolution of World Inequality," NBER Working Papers 9765, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Browning, Martin & Hansen, Lars Peter & Heckman, James J., 1999.
"Micro data and general equilibrium models,"
Handbook of Macroeconomics,in: J. B. Taylor & M. Woodford (ed.), Handbook of Macroeconomics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 8, pages 543-633
- Martin Browning & Lars Peter Hansen & James J. Heckman, 1999. "Micro Data and General Equilibrium Models," Discussion Papers 99-10, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Chateauneuf, Alain & Jaffray, Jean-Yves, 1989. "Some characterizations of lower probabilities and other monotone capacities through the use of Mobius inversion," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 263-283, June.Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
- Alain Chateauneuf & Jean-Yves Jaffray, 2008. "Some Characterizations of Lower Probabilities and Other Monotone Capacities through the Use of Mobius Inversion," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) hal-00649208, HAL.