Symbiotic Production and Downstream Market Competition
It is well known that the double marginalization problem in the vertical relation can be eliminated by collusion, but it is undesirable because of the monopoly pricing outcome. This study addresses the role of downstream market competition under symbiotic production and demonstrates that incorporating different types of competition in product markets will partially eliminate inefficiency caused by double marginalization. It suggests that introducing callback services or internet telephones creates an environment similar to downward market competition in the output market; hence, it is observed that international tariffs are significantly reduced. Copyright International Atlantic Economic Society 2012
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 40 (2012)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (404) 965-1555
Fax: (404) 965-1556
Web page: http://springerlink.metapress.com/link.asp?id=112055
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ingo Vogelsang, 2003. "Price Regulation of Access to Telecommunications Networks," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 41(3), pages 830-862, September.
- Brueckner, Jan K., 2001. "The economics of international codesharing: an analysis of airline alliances," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 19(10), pages 1475-1498, December.
- Lam, Pun-Lee, 1997. "Erosion of monopoly power by call-back. Lessons from Hong Kong," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 21(8), pages 693-695, October.
- Blair, Roger D & Kaserman, David L, 1987. "A Note on Bilateral Monopoly and Formula Price Contracts," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 77(3), pages 460-63, June.
- Irmen, Andreas, 1997.
"Mark-up pricing and bilateral monopoly,"
Elsevier, vol. 54(2), pages 179-184, February.
- Andreas IRMEN., 1996. "Mark-Up Pricing and Bilateral Monopoly," Cahiers de Recherches Economiques du Département d'Econométrie et d'Economie politique (DEEP) 9622, Université de Lausanne, Faculté des HEC, DEEP.
- Greenhut, M L & Ohta, H, 1979. "Vertical Integration of Successive Oligopolists," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 69(1), pages 137-41, March.
- Young, Allan Richard, 1991. "Vertical Structure and Nash Equilibrium: A Note," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 39(6), pages 717-22, December.
- Wright, Julian, 2002. "Access Pricing under Competition: An Application to Cellular Networks," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 50(3), pages 289-315, September.
- Economides, Nicholas & Salop, Steven C, 1992. "Competition and Integration among Complements, and Network Market Structure," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 40(1), pages 105-23, March.
- Brueckner, Jan K., 2002.
"Network Structure and Airline Scheduling,"
02-0112, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, College of Business.
- Chorng-Jian Liu & Chao-Cheng Mai & Fu-Chuan Lai & Wen-Chung Guo, 2010. "Pollution, Factor Ownerships, and Emission Taxes," Atlantic Economic Journal, International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 38(2), pages 209-216, June.
- Nicholas Economides, 1994.
"Quality Choice and Vertical Integration,"
94-22, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, Department of Economics.
- Sandbach, Jonathan, 1996. "International telephone traffic, callback and policy implications," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 20(7), pages 507-515, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:atlecj:v:40:y:2012:i:3:p:329-340. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.