Using disaster planning to optimize expenditures on financial safety nets
Using a multiperiod model, this paper offers a benchmark standard for efficient safety net management. This standard embodies a market-mimicking strategy for identifying, preventing, and resolving bank insolvencies. Around the world, governmental reluctance to acknowledge weaknesses in their crisis prevention efforts supports an underinvestment in contingent plans for handling financial disaster. The model features the hypothesis that this underinvestment misserves taxpayers by increasing the ability of stakeholders in insolvent banks to extract implicit and explicit subsidies when and as the threat of an actual crisis intensifies. Copyright International Atlantic Economic Society 2001
Volume (Year): 29 (2001)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (404) 965-1555
Fax: (404) 965-1556
Web page: http://springerlink.metapress.com/link.asp?id=112055
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Laeven, Luc, 2000. "Banking risks around the world - the implicit safety net subsidy approach," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2473, The World Bank.
- Walker F. Todd, 1994. "Lessons from the collapse of three state-chartered private deposit insurance funds," Economic Commentary, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, issue May.
- Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Detragiache, Enrica, 2002.
"Does deposit insurance increase banking system stability? An empirical investigation,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 49(7), pages 1373-1406, October.
- Asli Demirguc-Kunt & Enrica Detragiache, 2000. "Does Deposit Insurance Increase Banking System Stability? An Empirical Investigation," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 1751, Econometric Society.
- Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Detragiache, Enrica, 1999. "Does deposit insurance increase banking system stability ? An empirical investigation," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2247, The World Bank.
- Asli DemirgÃ¼Ã§-Kunt & Enrica Detragiache, 2000. "Does Deposit Insurance Increase Banking System Stability?," IMF Working Papers 00/3, International Monetary Fund.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:atlecj:v:29:y:2001:i:3:p:243-253. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.