Factors Influencing Capitalization Rates
This study examines the variations in quarterly mean "capitalization rates" for commercial and industrial investment properties. By explaining the variations in the capitalization rate, we hope to expand the research in explaining variations in the overall return to property. This study differs from other research on portfolio capitalization rates because we separately analyze these rates by property type. The results show that using "averaged" capitalization rates across property types eliminates important information. We use the band of investment approach to develop a theoretical model explaining the capitalization rate and test this model using both Seemingly Unrelated Regression (SUR) and cross-sectional/time-series regression (panel data).
Volume (Year): 8 (1993)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: American Real Estate Society Clemson University School of Business & Behavioral Science Department of Finance 401 Sirrine Hall Clemson, SC 29634-1323|
Web page: http://www.aresnet.org/
|Order Information:|| Postal: Diane Quarles American Real Estate Society Manager of Member Services Clemson University Box 341323 Clemson, SC 29634-1323|
Web: http://pages.jh.edu/jrer/about/get.htm Email:
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Yoon Dokko & Robert H. Edelstein & Marshall Pomer & E. Scott Urdang, 1991. "Determinants of the Rate of Return for Nonresidential Real Estate: Inflation Expectations and Market Adjustment Lags," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 19(1), pages 52-69.
- Richard D. Evans, 1990. "A Transfer Function Analysis of Real Estate Capitalization Rates," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 5(3), pages 371-380.
- David Hartzell & John Hekman & Mike Miles, 1986. "Diversification Categories in Investment Real Estate," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 14(2), pages 230-254.
- Hoag, James W, 1980. " Towards Indices of Real Estate Value and Return," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 35(2), pages 569-80, May.
- Terry V. Grissom & David Hartzell & Crocker H. Liu, 1987. "An Approach to Industrial Real Estate Market Segmentation and Valuation Using the Arbitrage Pricing Paradigm," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 15(3), pages 199-219.
- Roger G. Ibbotson & Laurence B. Siegel, 1984. "Real Estate Returns: A Comparison with Other Investments," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 12(3), pages 219-242.
- Liu, Crocker H, et al, 1990. "The Integration of the Real Estate Market and the Stock Market: Some Preliminary Evidence," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 3(3), pages 261-82, September.
- Ricks, R Bruce, 1969. "Imputed Equity Returns on Real Estate Financed with Life Insurance Company Loans," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 24(5), pages 921-37, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jre:issued:v:8:n:2:1993:p:221-238. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (JRER Graduate Assistant/Webmaster)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.