The Capitalization Rate of Commercial Properties and Market Returns
This study develops a model of real estate cap rates that draws on the weighted average cost of capital (WACC) theory and the capital asset pricing model (CAPM) in the finance literature. The model indicates cap rates are determined by debt and equity spreads. The debt spread is the risky debt rate less the risk-free rate, and the equity spread is the return on the market less the risk-free rate. The empirical results support the importance of both spreads; however, cap rates respond with significant adjustment lags to changes in capital market spreads. Our findings support the widely held belief that real estate markets are information inefficient and segmented from the national capital market.
Volume (Year): 10 (1995)
Issue (Month): 5 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.aresnet.org/
|Order Information:|| Postal: Diane Quarles American Real Estate Society Manager of Member Services Clemson University Box 341323 Clemson, SC 29634-1323|
Web: http://pages.jh.edu/jrer/about/get.htm Email:
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Terry V. Grissom & David Hartzell & Crocker H. Liu, 1987. "An Approach to Industrial Real Estate Market Segmentation and Valuation Using the Arbitrage Pricing Paradigm," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 15(3), pages 199-219.
- Ricks, R Bruce, 1969. "Imputed Equity Returns on Real Estate Financed with Life Insurance Company Loans," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 24(5), pages 921-37, December.
- Brent W. Ambrose & Hugh O. Nourse, 1993. "Factors Influencing Capitalization Rates," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 8(2), pages 221-238.
- Karl L. Guntermann & Richard L. Smith, 1987. "Derivation of Cost of Capital and Equity Rates from Market Data," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 15(2), pages 98-109.
- Jeffrey D. Fisher & George H. Lentz, 1986. "Tax Reform and the Value of Real Estate Income Property," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 14(2), pages 287-315.
- Ko Wang & Terry V. Grissom & Su Han Chan, 1990. "The Functional Relationships and Use of Going-In and Going-Out Capitalization Rates," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 5(2), pages 231-246.
- Richard D. Evans, 1990. "A Transfer Function Analysis of Real Estate Capitalization Rates," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 5(3), pages 371-380.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jre:issued:v:10:n:5:1995:p:509-518. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (JRER Graduate Assistant/Webmaster)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.