Real Estate Risk and the Business Cycle: Evidence from Security Markets
This study reports on the ex-post performance of survivor REITs and RECs over a 14.5-year period covering several business cycles. The results show that the systematic risk and risk-adjusted returns of REITs and RECs are quite different, especially during periods of low growth in real GNP. Relative to the overall stock market, survivor REITs, in particular, equity REITs, exhibited less volatility and higher returns than previous studies revealed. This can be explained by the higher returns, lower volatility, and lower systematic risk of REITs in periods of high growth in real GNP which have dominated the 1980s. The results expand our understanding of the true volatility of real estate, highlighting, at the same time, the need for further research to better understand the relationship between the performance of equity REIT securities and the underlying real estate assets in their portfolios.
Volume (Year): 5 (1990)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: American Real Estate Society Clemson University School of Business & Behavioral Science Department of Finance 401 Sirrine Hall Clemson, SC 29634-1323|
Web page: http://www.aresnet.org/
|Order Information:|| Postal: Diane Quarles American Real Estate Society Manager of Member Services Clemson University Box 341323 Clemson, SC 29634-1323|
Web: http://pages.jh.edu/jrer/about/get.htm Email:
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Leo Grebler & Leland S. Burns, 1982. "Construction Cycles in the United States Since World War II," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 10(2), pages 123-151.
- Michael E. Solt & Norman G. Miller, 1985. "Managerial Incentives: Implications for the Financial Performance of Real Estate Investment Trusts," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 13(4), pages 404-423.
- Patel, Raman C. & Olsen, Robert A., 1984. "Financial determinants of systematic risk in real estate investment trusts," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 12(4), pages 481-491, December.
- James L. Kuhle & Carl H. Walther & Charles H. Wurtzebach, 1986. "The Financial Performance of Real Estate Investment Trusts," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 1(1), pages 67-75.
- Mike Miles & Tom Mc Cue, 1982. "Historic Returns and Institutional Real Estate Portfolios," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 10(2), pages 184-199.
- Sheridan Titman & Arthur Warga, 1986. "Risk and the Performance of Real Estate Investment Trusts: A Multiple Index Approach," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 14(3), pages 414-431.
- Joe Peek & Eric S. Rosengren, 1988. "The stock market and economic activity," New England Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston, issue May, pages 39-50.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jre:issued:v:5:n:2:1990:p:203-220. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (JRER Graduate Assistant/Webmaster)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.