The Financial Performance of REITs Following Initial Public Offerings
This study examines changes in operating performance among real estate investment trusts following an initial public offering (IPO). The purpose is to determine whether there is an enhancement in the value of the underlying asset that is related to the IPO. We separately analyze equity, mortgage and diversified REITs. We also compare the operating performance of recent IPOs to those of earlier years to address the impact of the 1993 Revenue Reconciliation Act on institutional investorsâ€™ demand for REIT stock. Unlike previous analyses of industrial firms, REITs were found to have significant increases in Return on Assets and selected measures of financial performance. The post-IPO cumulative stock price decline and recovery is illustrated.
Volume (Year): 16 (1998)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.aresnet.org/
|Order Information:|| Postal: Diane Quarles American Real Estate Society Manager of Member Services Clemson University Box 341323 Clemson, SC 29634-1323|
Web: http://pages.jh.edu/jrer/about/get.htm Email:
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Loughran, Tim & Ritter, Jay R, 1995. " The New Issues Puzzle," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 50(1), pages 23-51, March.
- Smith, Abbie J., 1990. "Corporate ownership structure and performance *1: The case of management buyouts," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 143-164, September.
- Willard McIntosh & Youguo Liang & Daniel L. Tompkins, 1991. "An Examination of the Small-Firm Effect within the REIT Industry," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 6(1), pages 9-18.
- James L. Kuhle, 1987. "Portfolio Diversification and Return Benefits--Common Stock vs. Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs)," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 2(2), pages 1-9.
- Ritter, Jay R, 1984. " Signaling and the Valuation of Unseasoned New Issues: A Comment," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 39(4), pages 1231-37, September.
- Joseph Gyourko & Edward Nelling, 1996.
"Systematic Risk and Diversification in the Equity REIT Market,"
Real Estate Economics,
American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 24(4), pages 493-515.
- Joseph Gyourko & Edward Nelling, . "Systematic Risk and Diversification in the Equity REIT Market," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 11-94, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- James L. Kuhle & Carl H. Walther & Charles H. Wurtzebach, 1986. "The Financial Performance of Real Estate Investment Trusts," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 1(1), pages 67-75.
- Lynne B. Sagalyn, 1990. "Real Estate Risk and the Business Cycle: Evidence from Security Markets," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 5(2), pages 203-220.
- Mike Miles & Tom Mc Cue, 1982. "Historic Returns and Institutional Real Estate Portfolios," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 10(2), pages 184-199.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jre:issued:v:16:n:3:1998:p:375-388. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (JRER Graduate Assistant/Webmaster)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.