An Investigation of Buyer Search in the Residential Real Estate Market under Different Market Conditions
The purpose of this research is to examine buyer search under different market conditions. We conduct a survival regression analysis of survey data generated by the National Association of Realtors for 1988, 1991 and 1993. We find, in all instances, that economic conditions are the dominant factor influencing search duration. Some evidence does indicate, however, that search is influenced by interest rates. Additionally, the evidence suggests that the probability of finding a home increases for broker-assisted search, while this is not the case for self-conducted search.
Volume (Year): 20 (2000)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: American Real Estate Society Clemson University School of Business & Behavioral Science Department of Finance 401 Sirrine Hall Clemson, SC 29634-1323|
Web page: http://www.aresnet.org/
|Order Information:|| Postal: Diane Quarles American Real Estate Society Manager of Member Services Clemson University Box 341323 Clemson, SC 29634-1323|
Web: http://pages.jh.edu/jrer/about/get.htm Email:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- McKenna, Christopher J, 1986. "Theories of Individual Search Behaviour," Bulletin of Economic Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 38(3), pages 189-207, September.
- Han Bin Kang & Mona J. Gardner, 1989. "Selling Price and Marketing Time in the Residential Real Estate Market," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 4(1), pages 21-35.
- Shiawee X. Yang & Abdullah Yavas, 1995. "Bigger is not Better: Brokerage and Time on the Market," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 10(1), pages 23-34.
- Benhabib, Jess & Bull, Clive, 1981.
"Job Search: The Choice of Intensity,"
81-28, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- G. Donald Jud, 1983. "Real Estate Brokers and the Market for Residential Housing," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 11(1), pages 69-82.
- Rothschild, Michael, 1974. "Searching for the Lowest Price When the Distribution of Prices Is Unknown," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(4), pages 689-711, July/Aug..
- Edward A. Baryla & Leonard V. Zumpano, 1995. "Buyer Search Duration in the Residential Real Estate Market: The Role of the Real Estate Agent," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 10(1), pages 1-14.
- Karl E. Case & Robert J. Shiller, 1988.
"The Behavior of Home Buyers in Boom and Post-Boom Markets,"
NBER Working Papers
2748, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Karl E. Case & Robert J. Shiller, 1988. "The behavior of home buyers in boom and post-boom markets," New England Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston, issue Nov, pages 29-46.
- Robert J. Shiller & Karl E. Case, 1988. "The Behavior of Home Buyers in Boom and Post-Boom Markets," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 890, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Kohn, Meir G. & Shavell, Steven, 1974. "The theory of search," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 93-123, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jre:issued:v:20:n:1:2000:p:75-91. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (JRER Graduate Assistant/Webmaster)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.