Buyer Search Duration in the Residential Real Estate Market: The Role of the Real Estate Agent
This study examines buyer search duration using a national database consisting of transactions conducted with and without the assistance of real estate brokers. The results of this study indicates that information asymmetries are present in the residential real estate market. First-time buyers and out-of-town buyers search longer than more experienced and local, more knowledgeable homebuyers. On the other hand, buyers relocated by their employers spend less time looking for a home. More importantly, real estate brokers are able to reduce buyer search time for all classes of buyers, whether first-time, experienced, or an out-of-time buyer.
Volume (Year): 10 (1995)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: American Real Estate Society Clemson University School of Business & Behavioral Science Department of Finance 401 Sirrine Hall Clemson, SC 29634-1323|
Web page: http://www.aresnet.org/
|Order Information:|| Postal: Diane Quarles American Real Estate Society Manager of Member Services Clemson University Box 341323 Clemson, SC 29634-1323|
Web: http://pages.jh.edu/jrer/about/get.htm Email:
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kaserman, David L. & Trimble, John L. & Johnson, Ruth C., 1989. "Equilibration in a negotiated market: Evidence from housing," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 30-42, July.
- Weinberg, Daniel H. & Friedman, Joseph & Mayo, Stephen K., 1981. "Intraurban residential mobility: The role of transactions costs, market imperfections, and household disequilibrium," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 332-348, May.
- Karl E. Case & Robert J. Shiller, 1988.
"The Efficiency of the Market for Single-Family Homes,"
NBER Working Papers
2506, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Case, Karl E & Shiller, Robert J, 1989. "The Efficiency of the Market for Single-Family Homes," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 79(1), pages 125-37, March.
- Bagnoli, Mark & Khanna, Naveen, 1991. "Buyers' and Sellers' Agents in the Housing Market," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 4(2), pages 147-56, June.
- Salant, Stephen W, 1991. "For Sale by Owner: When to Use a Broker and How to Price the House," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 4(2), pages 157-73, June.
- Jacob Belkin & Donald J. Hempel & Dennis W. McLeavey, 1976. "An Empirical Study of Time on Market Using Multidimensional Segmentation of Housing Markets," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 4(2), pages 57-75.
- Norman G. Miller, 1978. "Time on the Market and Selling Price," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 6(2), pages 164-174.
- Kiefer, Nicholas M, 1988. "Economic Duration Data and Hazard Functions," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 26(2), pages 646-79, June.
- Linneman, Peter, 1986. "An empirical test of the efficiency of the housing market," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 140-154, September.
- McKenna, Christopher J, 1986. "Theories of Individual Search Behaviour," Bulletin of Economic Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 38(3), pages 189-207, September.
- Morgan, Peter & Manning, Richard, 1985. "Optimal Search," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(4), pages 923-44, July.
- Zuehlke, Thomas W, 1987. "Duration Dependence in the Housing Market," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 69(4), pages 701-04, November.
- Donald Haurin, 1988. "The Duration of Marketing Time of Residential Housing," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 16(4), pages 396-410.
- Kohn, Meir G. & Shavell, Steven, 1974. "The theory of search," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 93-123, October.
- Gau, George W, 1984. "Weak Form Tests of the Efficiency of Real Estate Investment Markets," The Financial Review, Eastern Finance Association, vol. 19(4), pages 301-20, November.
- Chunchi Wu & Peter F. Colwell, 1986. "Equilibrium of Housing and Real Estate Brokerage Markets Under Uncertainty," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 14(1), pages 1-23.
- Karl L. Guntermann & Richard L. Smith, 1987. "Efficiency of the Market for Residential Real Estate," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 63(1), pages 34-45.
- Rothschild, Michael, 1974. "Searching for the Lowest Price When the Distribution of Prices Is Unknown," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(4), pages 689-711, July/Aug..
- Robert R. Trippi, 1977. "Estimating the Relationship between Price and Time to Sale for Investment Property," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 23(8), pages 838-842, April.
- Leonard V. Zumpano & Donald L. Hooks, 1988. "The Real Estate Brokerage Market: A Critical Reevaluation," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 16(1), pages 1-16.
- Abdullah Yavaş, 1992. "A Simple Search and Bargaining Model of Real Estate Markets," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 20(4), pages 533-548.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jre:issued:v:10:n:1:1995:p:1-14. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (JRER Graduate Assistant/Webmaster)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.