Property Type, Size, and REIT Value
This study documents the wide deviation of securitized real estate assets in equity REITs from the value of the underlying commercial properties. A procedure for estimating the net asset value of REITs is developed and the estimates are used to investigate the sources of premiums/discounts from net asset value in a large sample of equity REITs. To avoid measurement error bias, two-way analysis of variance is used to test for differences among size and property-type categories. The results indicate that retail REITs trade at significant premiums relative to the average REIT while warehouse/industrial REITs trade at discounts and small REITs trade at significant discounts while large REITs trade at premiums. The discounts and premiums from net asset value do not translate into higher cash flow yields.
Volume (Year): 10 (1995)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.aresnet.org/
|Order Information:|| Postal: Diane Quarles American Real Estate Society Manager of Member Services Clemson University Box 341323 Clemson, SC 29634-1323|
Web: http://pages.jh.edu/jrer/about/get.htm Email:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Reinganum, Marc R., 1981. "Misspecification of capital asset pricing : Empirical anomalies based on earnings' yields and market values," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 19-46, March.
- Roll, Richard, 1981. "A Possible Explanation of the Small Firm Effect," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 36(4), pages 879-88, September.
- Banz, Rolf W., 1981. "The relationship between return and market value of common stocks," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 3-18, March.
- Keim, Donald B., 1983. "Size-related anomalies and stock return seasonality : Further empirical evidence," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 13-32, June.
- Stoll, Hans R. & Whaley, Robert E., 1983. "Transaction costs and the small firm effect," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 57-79, June.
- James R. Webb & Willard McIntosh, 1986. "Real Estate Investment Acquisition Rules for REITs: A Survey," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 1(1), pages 77-98.
- David J. Hartzell & David G. Shulma & Vice President, 1987. "Refining the Analysis of Regional Diversification for Income-Producing Real Estate," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 2(2), pages 85-95.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jre:issued:v:10:n:5:1994:p:363-380. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (JRER Graduate Assistant/Webmaster)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.