Property Type, Size, and REIT Value
This study documents the wide deviation of securitized real estate assets in equity REITs from the value of the underlying commercial properties. A procedure for estimating the net asset value of REITs is developed and the estimates are used to investigate the sources of premiums/discounts from net asset value in a large sample of equity REITs. To avoid measurement error bias, two-way analysis of variance is used to test for differences among size and property-type categories. The results indicate that retail REITs trade at significant premiums relative to the average REIT while warehouse/industrial REITs trade at discounts and small REITs trade at significant discounts while large REITs trade at premiums. The discounts and premiums from net asset value do not translate into higher cash flow yields.
Volume (Year): 10 (1995)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: American Real Estate Society Clemson University School of Business & Behavioral Science Department of Finance 401 Sirrine Hall Clemson, SC 29634-1323|
Web page: http://www.aresnet.org/
|Order Information:|| Postal: Diane Quarles American Real Estate Society Manager of Member Services Clemson University Box 341323 Clemson, SC 29634-1323|
Web: http://pages.jh.edu/jrer/about/get.htm Email:
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stoll, Hans R. & Whaley, Robert E., 1983. "Transaction costs and the small firm effect," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 57-79, June.
- Roll, Richard, 1981. "A Possible Explanation of the Small Firm Effect," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 36(4), pages 879-888, September.
- Banz, Rolf W., 1981. "The relationship between return and market value of common stocks," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 3-18, March.
- Keim, Donald B., 1983. "Size-related anomalies and stock return seasonality : Further empirical evidence," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 13-32, June.
- Reinganum, Marc R., 1981. "Misspecification of capital asset pricing : Empirical anomalies based on earnings' yields and market values," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 19-46, March.
- David J. Hartzell & David G. Shulma & Vice President, 1987. "Refining the Analysis of Regional Diversification for Income-Producing Real Estate," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 2(2), pages 85-95.
- James R. Webb & Willard McIntosh, 1986. "Real Estate Investment Acquisition Rules for REITs: A Survey," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 1(1), pages 77-98.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jre:issued:v:10:n:5:1994:p:363-380. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (JRER Graduate Assistant/Webmaster)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.