Economies of Scale for Real Estate Investment Trusts
Using the translog cost function to estimate economies of scale for a sample of Real Estate Investment Trusts for the years 1992-1994, we find significant evidence that economies of scale exist for REITs for all years examined. The results show that measurement of scale economies is sensitive to the model used for the measurement. Individual characteristics of the REIT, such as type of management and degree of leverage, affect the magnitude of the scale economy. Additional variables accounting for property type diversification and geographic influences have little additional impact on the measured scale economies. Finally, the measured economies of scale for REITs vary considerably over time.
Volume (Year): 14 (1997)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: American Real Estate Society Clemson University School of Business & Behavioral Science Department of Finance 401 Sirrine Hall Clemson, SC 29634-1323|
Web page: http://www.aresnet.org/
|Order Information:|| Postal: Diane Quarles American Real Estate Society Manager of Member Services Clemson University Box 341323 Clemson, SC 29634-1323|
Web: http://pages.jh.edu/jrer/about/get.htm Email:
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Noulas, Athanasios G & Ray, Subhash C & Miller, Stephen M, 1990. "Returns to Scale and Input Substitution for Large U.S. Banks," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 22(1), pages 94-108, February.
- McIntosh, Willard & Ott, Steven H & Liang, Youguo, 1995. "The Wealth Effects of Real Estate Transactions: The Case of REITs," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 10(3), pages 299-307, May.
- McAllister, Patrick H. & McManus, Douglas, 1993. "Resolving the scale efficiency puzzle in banking," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(2-3), pages 389-405, April.
- Leonard V. Zumpano & Harold W. Elder, 1994. "Economies of Scope and Density in the Market for Real Estate Brokerage Services," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 22(3), pages 497-513.
- Allen, Paul R. & Sirmans, C. F., 1987. "An analysis of gains to acquiring firm's shareholders : The special case of REITs," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 175-184, March.
- Willard McIntosh & Youguo Liang & Daniel L. Tompkins, 1991. "An Examination of the Small-Firm Effect within the REIT Industry," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 6(1), pages 9-18.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jre:issued:v:14:n:3:1997:p:275-290. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (JRER Graduate Assistant/Webmaster)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.