Public Debt And Economic Growth In The South Pacific Islands: A Case Study Of Fiji
Growing public debt of Fiji has been causing concerns all around. As part of countercyclical measures, the Government stepped up public expenditure from 2001 in response to the adverse consequences of the 2000 civilian coup, which witnessed a decline in investor confidence, resulting in a steep fall in private sector investment. Expansionary fiscal policy measures in the annual budgets of 2001 to 2004 as well as unforeseen natural disaster management expenditures have pushed the ratio of outstanding public debt to national output beyond the level of 50%. This paper seeks to examine the nexus between debt and growth in Fiji.
Volume (Year): 31 (2006)
Issue (Month): 2 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.jed.or.kr/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- D. Giannaros & B. Kolluri & M. Panik, 1999. "An Empirical Analysis of The Effects of Government Spending on Capital Investment: Evidence from O.E.C.D. Countries," International Economic Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(1), pages 45-55.
- Alberto Alesina & Silvia Ardagna & Roberto Perotti & Fabio Schiantarelli, 2000.
"Fiscal Policy, Profits, and Investment,"
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
504, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Alberto Alesina & Silvia Ardagna & Roberto Perotti & Fabio Schiantarelli, 1999. "Fiscal Policy, Profits, and Investment," NBER Working Papers 7207, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alesina, Alberto F & Ardagna, Silvia & Perotti, Roberto & Schiantarelli, Fabio, 1999. "Fiscal Policy, Profits and Investment," CEPR Discussion Papers 2250, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Schiantarelli, Fabio & Perotti, Roberto & Ardagna, Silvia & Alesina, Alberto, 2002. "Fiscal Policy, Profits, and Investment," Scholarly Articles 4685103, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- repec:hrv:faseco:3353756 is not listed on IDEAS
- Perotti, Roberto & Kontopoulos, Yianos, 2002. "Fragmented fiscal policy," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 86(2), pages 191-222, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jed:journl:v:31:y:2006:i:2:p:107-121. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Changhui Kang)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.