Targeted Standards for Floor Space in a Government Housing Plan: an Empirical Investigation of the Kanto Area in Japan
We estimate a demand function for household floor space in the Kanto area in Japan by using a survey questionnaire, and conduct calibrations to investigate whether effective demand is consistent with the prescribed targeted or minimum floor space in Japan¡¦s Basic Act for Housing. The results indicate that one- and two-person families can afford relatively large houses, but many three-person families with lower incomes and most four- and five-person families cannot afford housing that meets the Act¡¦s targeted housing standards. This result implies that further subsidies are needed to achieve the Act¡¦s targets.
Volume (Year): 16 (2013)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.asres.org/
|Order Information:|| Postal: Asian Real Estate Society, 51 Monroe Street, Plaza E-6, Rockville, MD 20850, USA|
Web: http://www.asres.org/ Email:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kanemoto, Yoshitsugu, 1997. "The housing question in Japan," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(6), pages 613-641, November.
- Seko, Miki, 2002. "Nonlinear budget constraints and estimation: effects of subsidized home loans on floor space decisions in Japan," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 280-299, September.
- Mankiw, N. Gregory & Weil, David N., 1989.
"The baby boom, the baby bust, and the housing market,"
Regional Science and Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 235-258, May.
- N. Gregory Mankiw & David N. Weil, 1988. "The Baby Boom, The Baby Bust, and the Housing Market," NBER Working Papers 2794, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Richard Ronald & Yosuke Hirayama, 2009. "Home alone: the individualization of young, urban Japanese singles," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 41(12), pages 2836-2854, December.
- Youngsun Kwon, 2002. "Rent-Commuting Cost Function Versus Rent-Distance Function," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(4), pages 773-791.
- Lim, Gill-Chin & Follain, James Jr. & Renaud, Bertrand, 1984. "Economics of residential crowding in developing countries," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 173-186, September.
- Ohtake, F. & Shintani, M., 1995.
"The Effects of Demographics on the Japanese Housing Market,"
ISER Discussion Paper
0391, Institute of Social and Economic Research, Osaka University.
- Ohtake, Fumio & Shintani, Mototsugu, 1996. "The effect of demographics on the Japanese housing market," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 189-201, April.
- Miki Seko, 1999. "Property Taxation and the Demand for Floor Space in Japan," International Real Estate Review, Asian Real Estate Society, vol. 2(1), pages 35-48.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ire:issued:v:16:n:02:2013:p:208-229. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (IRER Graduate Assistant/Webmaster)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.