Foreign Real Estate Security Investments for Japanese Investors
Foreign real estate investment funds have recently been added to the practical investment opportunity sets of ordinary Japanese investors. This paper analyzes the additional diversification benefits of U.S. REITs and Australian listed property trusts (LPTs) for Japanese investors who already hold Japanese, U.S., and Australian financial assets while considering different risk definitions in a mean-lower partial moment (MLPM) framework. The study uses data from August 1994 to July 2004. The impacts of currency adjustment and risk definition on the diversification benefits are examined. Our results suggest that the additional diversification benefits of U.S. REITs and Australian LPTs can be obtained only in very limited cases by Japanese investors.
Volume (Year): 9 (2006)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Asia Real Estate Society, 51 Monroe Street, Plaza E-6, Rockville, MD 20850, USA|
Web page: http://www.asres.org/
|Order Information:|| Postal: Asian Real Estate Society, 51 Monroe Street, Plaza E-6, Rockville, MD 20850, USA|
Web: http://www.asres.org/ Email:
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bawa, Vijay S., 1975. "Optimal rules for ordering uncertain prospects," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 2(1), pages 95-121, March.
- Bawa, Vijay S. & Lindenberg, Eric B., 1977. "Abstract: Capital Market Equilibrium in a Mean-Lower Partial Moment Framework," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 12(04), pages 635-635, November.
- Alan J. Ziobrowski & Brigitte J. Ziobrowski & Sidney Rosenberg, 1997. "Currency Swaps and International Real Estate Investment," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 25(2), pages 223-251.
- Bawa, Vijay S. & Lindenberg, Eric B., 1977. "Capital market equilibrium in a mean-lower partial moment framework," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 189-200, November.
- Auke Plantinga & Franks Sortino & Robert van der Meer, 2004. "The impact of downside risk on risk-adjusted performance of mutual funds in the Euronext markets," Finance 0407016, EconWPA.
- Alan J. Ziobrowski & Richard Curcio, 1991. "Diversification Benefits of U.S. Real Estate to Foreign Investors," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 6(2), pages 119-142.
- Young, Michael S & Graff, Richard A, 1995. "Real Estate Is Not Normal: A Fresh Look at Real Estate Return Distributions," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 10(3), pages 225-259, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ire:issued:v:09:n:01:2006:p:1-22. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (IRER Secretary Office/Webmaster)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.