The Effectiveness of Simple Decision Heuristics: Forecasting Commercial Success for Early-Stage Ventures
We investigate the decision heuristics used by experts to forecast that early-stage ventures are subsequently commercialized. Experts evaluate 37 project characteristics and subjectively combine data on all cues by examining both critical flaws and positive factors to arrive at a forecast. A conjunctive model is used to describe their process, which sums "good" and "bad" cue counts separately. This model achieves a 91.8% forecasting accuracy of the experts' correct forecasts. The model correctly predicts 86.0% of outcomes in out-of-sample, out-of-time tests. Results indicate that reasonably simple decision heuristics can perform well in a natural and very difficult decision-making context.
Volume (Year): 52 (2006)
Issue (Month): 3 (March)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 7240 Parkway Drive, Suite 300, Hanover, MD 21076 USA|
Web page: http://www.informs.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Amos Tversky & Daniel Kahneman, 1979.
"Prospect Theory: An Analysis of Decision under Risk,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
7656, David K. Levine.
- Kahneman, Daniel & Tversky, Amos, 1979. "Prospect Theory: An Analysis of Decision under Risk," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 47(2), pages 263-91, March.
- Alba, Joseph W & Marmorstein, Howard, 1987. " The Effects of Frequency Knowledge on Consumer Decision Making," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 14(1), pages 14-25, June.
- Thomas Astebro & Irwin Bernhardt, 1999. "The Social Rate of Return to Canada's Inventor's Assistance Program," Post-Print hal-00480038, HAL.
- Zacharakis, Andrew L. & Meyer, G. Dale, 2000. "The potential of actuarial decision models: Can they improve the venture capital investment decision?," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 323-346, July.
- Makridakis, Spyros & Hibon, Michele, 2000. "The M3-Competition: results, conclusions and implications," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 451-476.
- Thomas B. Astebro & Yigal Gerchak, 2000. "Calculating the Expectation and Variance of the Present Value for a Random Profit Stream of Uncertain Duration," Post-Print hal-00648005, HAL.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:inm:ormnsc:v:52:y:2006:i:3:p:395-409. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.