The Effectiveness of Simple Decision Heuristics: Forecasting Commercial Success for Early-Stage Ventures
We investigate the decision heuristics used by experts to forecast that early-stage ventures are subsequently commercialized. Experts evaluate 37 project characteristics and subjectively combine data on all cues by examining both critical flaws and positive factors to arrive at a forecast. A conjunctive model is used to describe their process, which sums "good" and "bad" cue counts separately. This model achieves a 91.8% forecasting accuracy of the experts' correct forecasts. The model correctly predicts 86.0% of outcomes in out-of-sample, out-of-time tests. Results indicate that reasonably simple decision heuristics can perform well in a natural and very difficult decision-making context.
Volume (Year): 52 (2006)
Issue (Month): 3 (March)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 7240 Parkway Drive, Suite 300, Hanover, MD 21076 USA|
Web page: http://www.informs.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kahneman, Daniel & Tversky, Amos, 1979.
"Prospect Theory: An Analysis of Decision under Risk,"
Econometric Society, vol. 47(2), pages 263-91, March.
- Amos Tversky & Daniel Kahneman, 1979. "Prospect Theory: An Analysis of Decision under Risk," Levine's Working Paper Archive 7656, David K. Levine.
- Zacharakis, Andrew L. & Meyer, G. Dale, 2000. "The potential of actuarial decision models: Can they improve the venture capital investment decision?," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 323-346, July.
- Makridakis, Spyros & Hibon, Michele, 2000. "The M3-Competition: results, conclusions and implications," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 451-476.
- Thomas Astebro & Irwin Bernhardt, 1999. "The Social Rate of Return to Canada's Inventor's Assistance Program," Post-Print hal-00480038, HAL.
- Alba, Joseph W & Marmorstein, Howard, 1987. " The Effects of Frequency Knowledge on Consumer Decision Making," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 14(1), pages 14-25, June.
- Thomas B. Astebro & Yigal Gerchak, 2000. "Calculating the Expectation and Variance of the Present Value for a Random Profit Stream of Uncertain Duration," Post-Print hal-00648005, HAL.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:inm:ormnsc:v:52:y:2006:i:3:p:395-409. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.