Interpreting Recent Changes in the Credit Spreads of Japanese Banks
This paper examines the recent period of relatively low credit spreads in Japan, with particular emphasis on the market fs assessments of the credit risks of large Japanese banks implicit in the prices of credit derivatives. We extract the market-price implied likelihood of a credit event in the future, and explore the nature of the default risk premiums underlying recent changes in bank bond and credit derivatives prices. We document substantial increases in the gjump-at- default h default risk premiums for the large Japanese banks examined during the early part of 2006. These patterns in risk premiums are related to the recent patterns in market indicators of global event risk, local equity market volatility, and an estimate of the duration of the Bank of Japan fs zero interest rate policy.
Volume (Year): 24 (2006)
Issue (Month): S1 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 2-1-1 Nihonbashi, Hongoku-cho, Chuo-ku, Tokyo 103|
Web page: http://www.imes.boj.or.jp/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Baba, Naohiko & Nakashima, Motoharu & Shigemi, Yosuke & Ueda, Kazuo, 2005.
"The Bank of Japan's Monetary Policy and Bank Risk Premiums in the Money Market,"
816, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Naohiko Baba & Motoharu Nakashima & Yosuke Shigemi & Kazuo Ueda, 2006. "The Bank of Japan's Monetary Policy and Bank Risk Premiums in the Money Market," International Journal of Central Banking, International Journal of Central Banking, vol. 2(1), March.
- Naohiko Baba & Motoharu Nakashima & Yousuke Shigemi & Kazuo Ueda, 2005. "The Bank of Japan's Monetary Policy and Bank Risk Premiums in the Money Market," CIRJE F-Series CIRJE-F-374, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
- Naohiko Baba & Motoharu Nakashima & Yosuke Shigemi & Kazuo Ueda, 2005. "The Bank of Japan's Monetary Policy and Bank Risk Premiums in the Money Market," CIRJE F-Series CIRJE-F-339, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
- Yoichi Ueno & Naohiko Baba, 2006. "Default Intensity and Expected Recovery of Japanese Banks and "Government": New Evidence from the CDS Market," Bank of Japan Working Paper Series 06-E-4, Bank of Japan.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ime:imemes:v:24:y:december:i:s1:p:129-41. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kinken)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.