The Bank of Japan's Monetary Policy and Bank Risk Premiums in the Money Market
This short paper shows that under the Bank of Japan's Zero Interest Rate Policy and Quantitative Monetary Easing, not just the levels of money market rates but also the dispersion of rates across banks have fallen to near zero. Using the data on individual banks' Negotiable Certificate of Deposit rates, we first show that the dispersion of the rates among banks has fallen since 1999, the year of the adoption of the Zero Interest Rate Policy and has reached almost zero by 2004. We next show that the fall in the dispersion of the rates is not explained by a corresponding fall in the dispersion of the credit ratings of the banks. Rather, credit risk premiums seem to have disappeared in the money market. We also discuss possible relationships between this result and the Bank of Japan's monetary policy.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.cirje.e.u-tokyo.ac.jp/index.html
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Shinichi Nishioka & Naohiko Baba, 2004. "Credit Risk Taking by Japanese Investors: Is Skewness Risk Priced in Japanese Corporate Bond Market?," Bank of Japan Working Paper Series 04-E-7, Bank of Japan.
- Nobuyuki Oda & Kazuo Ueda, 2005. "The Effects of the Bank of Japan's Zero Interest Rate Commitment and Quantitative Monetary Easing on the Yield Curve: A Macro-Finance Approach," Bank of Japan Working Paper Series 05-E-6, Bank of Japan.
- Naohiko Baba & Shinichi Nishioka & Nobuyuki Oda & Masaaki Shirakawa & Kazuo Ueda & Hiroshi Ugai, 2005.
"Japan's deflation, problems in the financial system and monetary policy,"
BIS Working Papers
188, Bank for International Settlements.
- Baba, Naohiko & Nishioka, Shinichi & Oda, Nobuyuki & Shirakawa, Masaaki & Ueda, Kazuo & Ugai, Hiroshi, 2005. "Japan's Deflation, Problems in the Financial System, and Monetary Policy," Monetary and Economic Studies, Institute for Monetary and Economic Studies, Bank of Japan, vol. 23(1), pages 47-111, February.
- Merton, Robert C., 1973.
"On the pricing of corporate debt: the risk structure of interest rates,"
684-73., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Merton, Robert C, 1974. "On the Pricing of Corporate Debt: The Risk Structure of Interest Rates," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 29(2), pages 449-70, May.
- Nobuyuki Oda & Kazuo Ueda, 2007.
"The Effects Of The Bank Of Japan'S Zero Interest Rate Commitment And Quantitative Monetary Easing On The Yield Curve: A Macro-Finance Approach,"
The Japanese Economic Review,
Japanese Economic Association, vol. 58(3), pages 303-328.
- Nobuyuki Oda & Kazuo Ueda, 2005. "The Effects of the Bank of Japan's Zero Interest Rate Commitment and Quantitative Monetary Easing on the Yield Curve: A Macro-Finance Approach," CIRJE F-Series CIRJE-F-336, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:tky:fseres:2005cf339. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CIRJE administrative office)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.