The sequential issue in free trade areas: Policy implication for Korea
This paper addresses the sequential issue of countries entering into a Free Trade Area. Korea, China, Japan and the United States are the objects of investigation. Different sequences are ranked in terms of the present value of Korea's GDP using a computable general equilibrium model, and the sequence Korea-China-US-Japan was the best. Each sequence is evaluated from the perspective of globalization, which allows us to foresee both momentum and inertia of trade liberalization. The study will provide a deeper understanding of regionalism and globalization in the context of the regionalism versus multilateralism debate. Copyright © 2004 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Volume (Year): 9 (2004)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.interscience.wiley.com/jpages/1076-9307/|
|Order Information:||Web: http://jws-edcv.wiley.com/jcatalog/JournalsCatalogOrder/JournalOrder?PRINT_ISSN=1076-9307|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hertel, Thomas, . "Global Trade Analysis: Modeling and applications," GTAP Books 7685, Center for Global Trade Analysis, Department of Agricultural Economics, Purdue University.
- Pravin Krishna, .
"Regionalism and Multilaterialism: A Political Economy Approach,"
96-5, Brown University, Department of Economics.
- Pravin Krishna, 1998. "Regionalism And Multilateralism: A Political Economy Approach," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 113(1), pages 227-250, February.
- Furusawa, Taiji & Lai, Edwin L. -C., 1999. "Adjustment costs and gradual trade liberalization," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(2), pages 333-361, December.
- Terrie Walmsley, 1998.
"LONG-RUN SIMULATIONS WITH GTAP: Illustrative Results from APEC Trade Liberalisation,"
Centre of Policy Studies/IMPACT Centre Working Papers
ip-70, Victoria University, Centre of Policy Studies/IMPACT Centre.
- Walmsley, Terrie, 1998. "Long Run Simulations With GTAP: Illustrative Results from APEC Trade Liberalisation," GTAP Technical Papers 312, Center for Global Trade Analysis, Department of Agricultural Economics, Purdue University.
- Wei, Shang-Jin & Frankel, Jeffrey A., 1996. "Can regional blocs be a stepping stone to global free trade? a political economy analysis," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 5(4), pages 339-347.
- Sang-Seung, Yi, 1996. "Endogenous formation of customs unions under imperfect competition: open regionalism is good," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(1-2), pages 153-177, August.
- Terrie L. Walmsley & Thomas W. Hertel, 2001.
"China's Accession to the WTO: Timing is Everything,"
The World Economy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 24(8), pages 1019-1049, 09.
- Hertel, Thomas W. & Terrie Walmsley, 2000. "China's Accession to the WTO: Timing is Everything," GTAP Working Papers 403, Center for Global Trade Analysis, Department of Agricultural Economics, Purdue University.
- Panagariya, Arvind & Findlay, Ronald & DEC, 1994. "A political - economy analysis of free trade areas and customs unions," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1261, The World Bank.
- Andriamananjara, Soamiely, 1999. "On the size and number of regional integration arrangements - a political economy model," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2117, The World Bank.
- Francois, Joseph & Bradley McDonald, 1996. "Liberalization and Capital Accumulation in the GTAP Model," GTAP Technical Papers 310, Center for Global Trade Analysis, Department of Agricultural Economics, Purdue University.
- Nam Chong-Hyun & Kim Chang-Jin, 2000. "Capital Accumulation And Trade Policy:The Case Of Korea," International Economic Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(1), pages 111-131.
- Ianchovichina, Elena & Robert McDougall, 2000.
"Theoretical Structure of Dynamic GTAP,"
GTAP Technical Papers
480, Center for Global Trade Analysis, Department of Agricultural Economics, Purdue University.
- Thompson, Henry, 1999. "Production and the Trade Balance in a Small Open Economy," Journal of Economic Integration, Center for Economic Integration, Sejong University, vol. 14, pages 432-441.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ijf:ijfiec:v:9:y:2004:i:2:p:165-174. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.