The sequential issue in free trade areas: Policy implication for Korea
This paper addresses the sequential issue of countries entering into a Free Trade Area. Korea, China, Japan and the United States are the objects of investigation. Different sequences are ranked in terms of the present value of Korea's GDP using a computable general equilibrium model, and the sequence Korea-China-US-Japan was the best. Each sequence is evaluated from the perspective of globalization, which allows us to foresee both momentum and inertia of trade liberalization. The study will provide a deeper understanding of regionalism and globalization in the context of the regionalism versus multilateralism debate. Copyright © 2004 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Volume (Year): 9 (2004)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.interscience.wiley.com/jpages/1076-9307/|
|Order Information:||Web: http://jws-edcv.wiley.com/jcatalog/JournalsCatalogOrder/JournalOrder?PRINT_ISSN=1076-9307|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hertel, Thomas W. & Terrie Walmsley, 2000.
"China's Accession to the WTO: Timing is Everything,"
GTAP Working Papers
403, Center for Global Trade Analysis, Department of Agricultural Economics, Purdue University.
- Terrie L. Walmsley & Thomas W. Hertel, 2001. "China's Accession to the WTO: Timing is Everything," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 24(8), pages 1019-1049, 09.
- Wei, Shang-Jin & Frankel, Jeffrey A., 1996. "Can regional blocs be a stepping stone to global free trade? a political economy analysis," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 5(4), pages 339-347.
- Pravin Krishna, 1998.
"Regionalism And Multilateralism: A Political Economy Approach,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 113(1), pages 227-250, February.
- Pravin Krishna, . "Regionalism and Multilaterialism: A Political Economy Approach," Working Papers 96-5, Brown University, Department of Economics.
- Panagariya, Arvind & Findlay, Ronald & DEC, 1994. "A political - economy analysis of free trade areas and customs unions," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1261, The World Bank.
- Andriamananjara, Soamiely, 1999. "On the size and number of regional integration arrangements - a political economy model," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2117, The World Bank.
- Ianchovichina, Elena & Robert McDougall, 2000.
"Theoretical Structure of Dynamic GTAP,"
GTAP Technical Papers
480, Center for Global Trade Analysis, Department of Agricultural Economics, Purdue University.
- Ianchovichina,Elena & Walmsley,Terrie L. (ed.), 2012. "Dynamic Modeling and Applications for Global Economic Analysis," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9781107011694.
- Thompson, Henry, 1999. "Production and the Trade Balance in a Small Open Economy," Journal of Economic Integration, Center for Economic Integration, Sejong University, vol. 14, pages 432-441.
- Hertel, Thomas, . "Global Trade Analysis: Modeling and applications," GTAP Books 7685, Center for Global Trade Analysis, Department of Agricultural Economics, Purdue University.
- Furusawa, Taiji & Lai, Edwin L. -C., 1999. "Adjustment costs and gradual trade liberalization," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(2), pages 333-361, December.
- Sang-Seung, Yi, 1996. "Endogenous formation of customs unions under imperfect competition: open regionalism is good," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(1-2), pages 153-177, August.
- Walmsley, Terrie, 1998.
"Long Run Simulations With GTAP: Illustrative Results from APEC Trade Liberalisation,"
GTAP Technical Papers
312, Center for Global Trade Analysis, Department of Agricultural Economics, Purdue University.
- Terrie Walmsley, 1998. "LONG-RUN SIMULATIONS WITH GTAP: Illustrative Results from APEC Trade Liberalisation," Centre of Policy Studies/IMPACT Centre Working Papers ip-70, Victoria University, Centre of Policy Studies/IMPACT Centre.
- Nam Chong-Hyun & Kim Chang-Jin, 2000. "Capital Accumulation And Trade Policy:The Case Of Korea," International Economic Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(1), pages 111-131.
- Francois, Joseph & Bradley McDonald, 1996. "Liberalization and Capital Accumulation in the GTAP Model," GTAP Technical Papers 310, Center for Global Trade Analysis, Department of Agricultural Economics, Purdue University.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ijf:ijfiec:v:9:y:2004:i:2:p:165-174. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.